trailtech computet

Got questions? We got answers....
dualscotty

trailtech computet

Post by dualscotty »

Hi there.I have a 98 kdx 200 that is plated.I was thinking a speedo would be handy.anyone ever installed one before.easy to hook up?worth the money?I don't really want to wire it to my bike just use the internal batt. Provided.or can I just wire it to an easy hot wire like the head light go example. Thanks
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: trailtech computet

Post by KDXohio »

I've not put one on a bike yet but I have installed a trail tech on a fertilizing machine. They are extremely easy to put in. 1 wire for 12+volts your headlight wire would work fine I'd splice the wire pre switch so the speedo doesnt loose power if you ever turn the headlight off then through a ring terminal on the second wire and ground it to the frame.

Then its just one cable down to the front wheel and a magnet to capture speed. They can monitor engine temp and hours too I believe if you get the sensors for it
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I have the trail tech Vapor. Well worth the money. I would recommend you wire it to the bike as if you don't the back light is not that bright (10 times brighter when wired)and you won't be able to use the led warning lights.

You can beat it just over $100.

dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

Thank you going to get one.I'll find out when I get it but is it like one hot wire to the head light pre switch and then a ground to the frame type of wire up....thanks for the pic.it looks nice
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Just a tip. Make sure your have a resistor spark plug. My buddys bike had a B9ES in it and it was reading 274MPH in neutral. :shock: Put in a BR9ES and all fixed. :grin:

One to the switch and one ground and you will be good to go.
dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

Thank you
Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Jnelson »

s10gto wrote:Just a tip. Make sure your have a resistor spark plug. My buddys bike had a B9ES in it and it was reading 274MPH in neutral. :shock: Put in a BR9ES and all fixed. :grin:

What switch are you referring to? The kill switch?

I knew one needed to wrap around spark plug, and one to magnetic sensor pickup and one to ground but am curious what switch needs to go to. I am thinking about getting one also and want to make sure I know what I am in for beforehand.
2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

trailtech computet

Post by pumpguy »

If you're only interested in a speedometer, many folks have used cheap imported electronic bicycle speedometers with excellent results. I've even seen them used on antique horseless carriages. Same magnetic sensing operating principle as TrailTech for a whole lot less $.

Search BICYCLE SPEEDOMETER on this site for more information.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

TrailTech also makes a "speedo" only unit for about $70. If you don't need the temp sensor or the Tach, then this is the was to go.

There are several ways to wire in the Tach, I've run into the problem with the tach not working properly and just gave up on it. I need mine for speed and temp only.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Jnelson wrote:
s10gto wrote:Just a tip. Make sure your have a resistor spark plug. My buddys bike had a B9ES in it and it was reading 274MPH in neutral. :shock: Put in a BR9ES and all fixed. :grin:

What switch are you referring to? The kill switch?

I knew one needed to wrap around spark plug, and one to magnetic sensor pickup and one to ground but am curious what switch needs to go to. I am thinking about getting one also and want to make sure I know what I am in for beforehand.
For power go to the wire going up to the headlight switch.
dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

The switch I am referimg to is the head light switch
dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

Will all vapor computers work or are they model specific
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I believe they're all the same except some have a mount for conventional forks and some have a mount for inverted forks
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

They all mount to the bars ,but are semi model specific. For example if you buy one made for a old Air cooled KDX the engine temp sensor will be for the spark plug base and not for the upper water hose.

This is the one I got

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor/752-500

Comes in silver too.

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor/75-500
dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

Installed my trailtech toiday.just confirming my wiring,can I splice the red power wire into my red wire that goes to the head light with a inline fuse for protection and the black wire to the frame..obviously the computer will only work when the bike is running and the head light is on but that's fine with me,thanks
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I believe you want the yellow wire for red and black to frame. This way it will work when running and headlight on. Although by the diagram in the book shows the reg. is on the red. I would double check with Trailtech.
dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

How is yours hooked up.did you add a battery or is your bike stock
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

I have a Baja Designs kit. Mine is keyed power from battery.
Captn Kirk

Post by Captn Kirk »

s10gto wrote:I have the trail tech Vapor. Well worth the money. I would recommend you wire it to the bike as if you don't the back light is not that bright (10 times brighter when wired)and you won't be able to use the led warning lights.

You can beat it just over $100.

Am I correct in assuming the TrailTech is 12v.? If so, where did you locate a 12volt source? My reason for asking (apologies for hijacking if I am) is I am trying to find a power source for a TrailTech fan. Like mentioned earlier, the power wire going to the headlight is only a 4 volt source according to my meter. When jumped to the fan just to test it, the fan tries to turn, but I'm guessing it can't for lack of voltage. I know the fan is a 12v.

The issue is coolant spew in tough high altitude riding. I was about to drain and fill with Engine Ice, but rethinking that based on other threads indicating there's a better product out there. It would be cheaper than the fan, but the fan has been the fix on my other bikes.

Need some help here if anyone cares to chime in.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The Trail Tech should be 5v, the fan should be 7v (both DC), your bike is AC, so it won't properly power the fan. You can get small "alarm system" batteries at Batteries Plus that fit inside your air box, or even try a 9V battery (or a couple 9Vs in series). Don't know how long or how fast they will spin the fan, but that is a good power source. You can also convert your AC over to DC, but you loose some power in the process, so a stator rewind might be in the works as well.
If I were you, I'd be trying to figure out why the bike is spewing in the first place...a leak somewhere? Might even just need a new rad cap. I've ridden at 3000+ feet for a few miles in a hard hill climb in 90+ degree weather.....Two riders, two KDXs....one blew. The one that blew has a rekluse clutch with a 250(um..ish)# rider....The other bike a regular clutch with a 170# rider. We where flying up a very long switchback hill, an area and hill climb that would get that rekluse heating things up quite a bit, which I'd account for his rad blowing, but it was still a pretty small volume.

My point is that the bike shouldn't spew very easily and you probably have a problem somewhere.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type