KIPS Actuator Rod

Got questions? We got answers....
Corey

KIPS Actuator Rod

Post by Corey »

Hey folks,

Piggybacking on an earlier post about rotating the rod by hand. Like the original post I to am replacing the top end on my '96 KDX 200H but unlike the posters situation (being able to rotate the rod 360 degrees without any resistance or engagement) I can rotate mine about 180 degrees without resistance but I can hear and feel what seems like stops that limit the rotation to that much. Good? No Good?
PS, If you were looking at it straight on and using a clock for reference the locating pin for the claw gear rotates from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

Thanks
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KIPS Actuator Rod

Post by diymirage »

sounds right to me
as a matter of fact, it sounds real good to me
the lack of resistance means everything is moving smoothly
the light movement and stops indicate you have reached the end of the process (the valves opening)

think off a car door
would you be happy if you could rotate it 360 degrees or does 180 degrees serve its purpose?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Corey

Post by Corey »

Ok, sounds like I'm good to go. Thank you for the replies.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

I don't think mine rotates more than 90 degrees.
There should be resistance for any amount of rotation and should spring back if you let it go.
The spring tension is from the actuator inside the clutch cover.
It sounds to me like the pin that was missing on the other guys bike is not in the slot of the actuator on your.
I suggest taking a peak.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for the advice. I'll pull the cover and take a look.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

There is a tiny phillips head screw on the outside of the case where the shaft slides through. If that is missing, the shaft can move up and come out of the actuator. My guess is that you will find the pin that slides into the actuator is bent. It happens if the shaft is not supported when the top nut is loosened. Throw in the left hand theads for the top nut and you can see how this mistake is made.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Corey

Post by Corey »

Good stuff. Man this is a great site. Thank you for the input. Trying to get the bike ready for a local race called the VCGP in Virginia City NV. I'll take a peek this morning and report back. Happy Easter everyone!!
Corey

Post by Corey »

Yep, your were right doctord23. Pin is bent. Thought I could bend it back into place but upon examination the metal holder that the pin is pressed into is cracked. So that means that all this time riding the bike the KIPS system wasn't operating correctly. Checked Motosport and they can get the part in 3-6 days plus the added days to ship it to me. The race is the 25th of this month. Don't know if I have enough time. I could race the bike without the KIPS given that it ran ok when the pin was bent. Would rather not though. I'll try and locate a source to get a new one sent to me quicker. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
chippy

Post by chippy »

Try Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. They can usually get me OEM parts the fastest. (two days if in stock) They usually have the best price as well and they will price match if they don't.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks chippy for the tip. I did and they have 'em in stock. Bought 2 of them. Don't plan bending one, but when I get parts I usually buy 2 of each if the price is bearable. Especially if they are high wear items. By the way, I carefully inspected the governer itself and the needle bearings and spacers were bent as well as the collar looked worn and they had them in stock too so ordered them as well. All parts expected to be at my door this Wednesday. Whew!!!! Thanks again for all your help.
chippy

Post by chippy »

Glad I could help!
Did U get the parts in time? I'm always amazed at the OEM parts Rocky Mtn. has in stock. Never mind the fact that I live WAY out in the boonies and get them in 3 days or less. (usually 2) All for "standard shipping", which is free if you spend $99. I hope you kick some butt on that KDX!
Corey

Post by Corey »

Hey chippy. Yes I did get the parts. Package sitting on the front porch when I got home from work today. Opened the package and everythng is there. Time to put her back together. I anticipate a noticeable power increase with the KIPS working. Bring on the VCGP!!!! Thanks for your encouragement.