Getting rid of excessive handlebar vibrations

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

What's a low-cost/easy way to fix handlebar vibration? I thought it was my suspension which might have been too stiff to absorb smaller stuff, but now after feeling the handlebars at idle and in different riding conditions, I think they're what's the problem. Riding dried riverbeds with small (slightly bigger than fist-size) rocks is extremely exhausting. My forearms are toast after 15-20 minutes, so I constantly need to take breaks. I mean, riding such areas is always tiring, but my bars seem to be sending off shockwaves through my hands. I can feel my upperarms shaking around like crazy (and I'm not fat). I have .44kg racetech springs. I thought maybe I should put in less preload, or change the fluid level/weight. However, I'm now thinking it's just vibrations. I've ridden the bike gloveless a few times and it definitely numbs the hell out of my hands. I have RC High bars with some risers.

I'm thinking my risers might be amplifying the vibrations? Would putting a small piece of rubber there (like a cutout from a bicycle innertube) work? I figure a thin piece of rubber under the risers, and perhaps a thin piece above, then tightening to hell might reduce the vibrations. I've also been reading on people filling their bars with insulating foam... Most comments seem positive, but a few are negative. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm not too worried about adding weight. I even read about one guy who put beads of silicone on a piece of paper and once it was dried out, wrapped them all together and stuffed them down either side of the bars.

I know I can't have it all. My current setup works great at higher speeds. However, my hands do get tired quickly in bumpy slower speed stuff. Especially the small rocky stuff. Suspension doesn't absorb it as well and the ensuing vibrations reverberate all the way through the ends of the bars.

This is my current setup:

Here's a simple example of what can be extremely tiring... It's dried mud (but which is as hard as a rock) in a small winding track, which forces me to go slow. Tiny clumps, but they're hard and at low speed the vibrations are starting to make riding tedious...

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Getting rid of excessive handlebar vibrations

Post by Sullyfam »

You could get a set of Fasst Flex Bars. They are not cheap, but the guys I know that run them swear by them.

http://www.fasstco.com/product/flexx-handlebars-mx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

What is the pressure in your front tire? Your tires are your shock absorbers for the really small bumps. I run 15psi.
Open the "bullets" for a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun and use those lead balls to fill the bars if they are hollow. Or use lead fishing line weights.
If your bars aren't hollow then you need to get ones that are because I guarantee you this is the solution.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Tire pressure is usually set to 12-15, so that's probably not the issue. Bars are hollow, but I'm not sure what to fill them with. Would lead actually absorb vibrations? Wouldn't those pellets just shake around some more? I've thought about sand. Not too heavy and might make a difference...
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

You could try & remove the rubber comes from under the bar clamps & replace them with the billet alloy ones ....you will still feel some vibrations through the handlebars but it will reduce bar flex & also prevent the bars from twisting in a fall....I removed mine some time ago & haven't looked back.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

It's a question of physics. More weight (ie: lead) means more inertia. What is inertia?: resistance to movement when still, and resistance to being stopped when already in motion.
the heavier your bars are, the more they will resist vibration.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Here's more options:

http://www.vibranator.com/

http://www.fasstco.com/product/anti-vibration-inserts

http://roxspeedfx.com/product/black-ant ... risers.htm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617012

I wouldn't change out the rubber bar mount cones for solid ones. If you've not replaced the rubber cones, it may be time for some fresh ones.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

You also might check your engine mount bolts including swingarm bolt make sure they haven't gotten loose in the past and wallowed out the mounting holes. the exhaust not mounted correctly (no rubber isolaters) or touching the frame can cause vibration. I've never really thought my kdx had much vibration definetly better then my honda crf 250x
chippy

Post by chippy »

I am running virtually the same bar/suspension set-up as you and vibration is not an issue for me. My KDX actually handles the small bumps quite well. I wonder if it isn't time to replace the bar mount bushings with a set of urethane bushings/cones? I did do the shim-stack mod to my stock forks and it seemed to help with the small bumps a bit. It's easy to do and costs nothing but time. Softer grips can help a bit as well.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

1 1/8 Protapers helped my bar vibration. Of course it's not completely gone, but it is reduced...comparing to 7/8 bars.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

chippy

Post by chippy »

Jaguar,
I see that you sent me a private message. I guess I am not allowed to read or send any private messages? Sorry.