Flipped the bike: it won't start. Procedure?

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

What's the correct procedure for starting a bike which has been flipped/dropped to it's side for a period of time? Namely I have two questions: what causes it to not start, and how should I go about starting it? My electric start bikes have never had this problem (first time on the KDX, though I hadn't dropped it or crashed yet). My electrics would kind of have trouble at first because the gas moved around, but would quickly start up after a few button presses. Yesterday I went for a ride and after missing a steep climb, ended up dropping/ having to turn and pull the bike down back down (only a meter from the top!). This essentially made the wheels face up and the body/gas tank down. Then the bike wouldn't turn over.

I assumed this is because of a flooded carb, so I turned the petlock to "off" and turned a screw on the lefthand-side of the carb to let gas out. Still wouldn't start, so I kept toying around with it (the same procedure) until it eventually turned over. Problem is, I'm not sure if this was the best approach.

So...
1. Am I correct in assuming this was because of a flooded carb? Maybe I twisted the throttle too much when I dropped it, or being upside down caused fuel to accumulate in the carb?
2. What is the best approach to remedy this? Should I have taken out the plug to check for wetness and dried it out? Does the "full throttle kick" trick work on the KDX? I've done that once before on my friend's DR 250. Apparently it makes it only suck in air.

Thanks or any advice and sorry for sounding like an idiot.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Flipped the bike: it won't start. Procedure?

Post by royadams »

Mine fires right up. Ive Never had a problem. I would think if it was flooded that bad if you pulled the plug and kicked it a few times with the plug out it would be fine . I dont think draining the carb will help much. Have you gone thru the jetting process yet. My guess would be its to rich on the pilot.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

What you did sounds about right.

When the bike is wheels up getting dragged down a hill the fuel circuit gets a bit mixed up.

A few minutes upright and 1/2 a dozen full throttle kicks should set things right.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

If you find yourself in a no start still after a fury of kicks, check the main ingredients... Fuel, air and spark.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

You say the bike (wouldn't turn over) to me that means the crankcase is full of fuel causing the engine to lock. Pulling the plug and cranking it over should force the excess fuel out the plughole. Twisting the throttle will not flood the bike. Two strokes carbs don't pump fuel when you twist the throttle like some four stroke carbs do. My kdx usually starts first kick after a get off, if it's laying on it's side for awhile you can turn the petcock off to keep fuel from passing thru the carb.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Thanks guys. First time it happened to me, though I haven't fallen off of it often. I actually fell off a few times afterwards and no issues. So I guess first step (if it doesn't start) is to turn the petlock off, then remove the plug, kick it over a few times, replace plug. And voila! (hopefully). Maybe a few kicks full throttle just for good measure.

Thanks again, I'll try this if it ever happens again.