time for a replate. suggestions?

Got questions? We got answers....
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

like the title says, its time for a replate. bike is a 98 KDX 220. cylinder is toast due to a busted piston. i am leaning towards Eric Gorr doing a 225 big bore and plating. it says on the site that it includes cylinder head resurfacing, stud removal and thread repair, and powervalve service and assembly on applicable models. can anyone verify that all that is included on a replate service? if so that sounds like a good deal for $250. i know the top end rebuild kit is extra but a good deal nonetheless. also does he supply a top end kit for a little extra? i would think he would to get the bore the right size. sorry for so many questions but this is my first time having anything like this done and want as much info as possible. thanks
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: time for a replate. suggestions?

Post by diymirage »

last time I had it done I went with langecourt, the charge 20 dollar less for a bore, plate and hone
that is not the 225 big bore though and didn't include any work to the powervalve (and you will need to have half the amount of the overbore shaved from the main valve)
so yes, sounds fair

and you always want to either buy the piston from the person redoing the cylinder or send it with so they can get it spot on
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

As far as I know they don't do a big bore on the 220, only on the 200 and it runs 600 for the big bore which gets you everything. the replate is 250 and gets what you listed above. Another option that a lot of folks on here have used is Millenium Technologies and I believe cost is about the same.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

bufftester wrote:As far as I know they don't do a big bore on the 220, only on the 200 and it runs 600 for the big bore which gets you everything. the replate is 250 and gets what you listed above. Another option that a lot of folks on here have used is Millenium Technologies and I believe cost is about the same.
it says original or big bore for no extra charge. this is straight from forward motion. powered by millennium technologies.

CYLINDER PLATING (aluminum cylinders) $250
Most modern dirt bikes use hard coatings applied directly to the aluminum cylinder bore. Nickel-composite plating is the hardest low friction coating available. We can plate a cylinder back to original size or to a big bore size for no extra charge. Our work is covered by a 1-Year warranty. This service includes cylinder head resurfacing, stud removal and thread repair, and powervalve service and assembly on applicable models.

and why cant they do a 225 on a kdx220?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think it is KDX220R = stock 216cc, 223cc for Eric Gorr conversion
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

If you look under the big bore section its $600 for the kdx. If you just bore it bigger and not have it ported the port timing will be off. And then you still have to have the squish band machined larger on the head to fit the piston. And if there are any chunks missing they charge to weld. And I would bet when they say head surface that is the top of cylinder not the actual head.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

aaahhhh i see. thanks for that info
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

royadams wrote:If you look under the big bore section its $600 for the kdx. If you just bore it bigger and not have it ported the port timing will be off. And then you still have to have the squish band machined larger on the head to fit the piston. And if there are any chunks missing they charge to weld. And I would bet when they say head surface that is the top of cylinder not the actual head.
i was thinking that the $600 deal was if you bought the cylinder and stuff from them. the way it reads is that they will bore your own cylinder out and replate it for no extra charge. i will call them when i get the extra funds and get it straight.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

They will bore it to any size for no extra charge. They have to bore it anyway. But nothing else will fit anymore. The cylinder ports are angled so the bigger you go the more it changes the port timing. The $600 is with your cylinder and all the new parts you need to make it work.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

ok gotcha
Corey

Post by Corey »

Consider PowerSeal as another option. Don't know if they are comparable in the price for what you want done but it's nice to have options. Personally, used Millenium in the past on a YZ restoration with good service and now trying out PoweSeal to plate my '96 KDX 200. +1 on having the piston there for spot on fitment.
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

i found this cylinder on ebay. seller doesnt know if has the factory bore/plating or not. can someone tell me if it looks original or been re-sleeved?

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Looks original. No sleeve in that one. Finish looks like factory electrofusion.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

s10gto wrote:Looks original. No sleeve in that one. Finish looks like factory electrofusion.
I agree, plan on the cost of having that nickasealed as well.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type