posting pics and kipps subvalve positioning

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

posting pics and kipps subvalve positioning

Post by kaw814 »

hey guys.....wanna thank a few of you for your help the last few months...ive gotten good info here throughout a very frustrating rebuild process at times....There have been a few instances where i wanted to post a pic to make whatever issue i have a little clearer to an outside observer...wouldnt mind showing it off next week a little either, new plastic, and a very expensive real wheel from RAD really dresses a bike up nice. One question while i still have the engine out of the bike, i checked out my powervalve operation, everything links up, but i believe I may have the subvalves reversed...when i look inside through the exhaust opening i notice that while the flapper valve is completely closed, the subvalves have the open end facing in towards the cyclinder...it sounds like i have my left and right sub-valves reversed...no big deal, just have to switch sides...hoping that someone can confirm that i have these in correctly or incorrectly....thanks again...sincerely, a mechanic wannabee in western PA
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: posting pics and kipps subvalve positioning

Post by s10gto »

The right sub valve is the one with the o-ring on top. Then just line up the line on the rod in between the two notches on the gear.

The right side rod also has a o-ring too.

No o-rings on left side parts
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

thanks bud.....the engine is already together but not in the bike yet....i'm hoping to avoid taking the head/jug off just to find that i took it all back apart for nothing...i can see everything thru the exhaust opening...when the flapper valve is closed i clearly see the open area on the 2 subvalves on the right and the left...if i pull the main valve out manually the subvalves close off their respective ports.....the notches/o-rings are matched up but i'm thinking that when the main valve is open it should also open the subvalve ports up....its exactly the opposite, thats why i think i have the subvalves reversed...if that makes sense to anyone else I'd appreciate the comment..if not ill just take it back apart....sometimes its trial and error folks, in my case more error...lol
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Yes all ports should be open. Sounds like it is reversed. I don't believe the notches can be lined up if backwards.

The notches are the two teeth that are machined a touch shorter.

Should look like this when lined up.

If this is the way you have it and the subvalves close when you turn the KIPS clockwise you must have the left and right reversed.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Kawi814 - this may be of help Timing KIPS