Lowering or not

Got questions? We got answers....
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Lowering or not

Post by travisvt »

So I just got a 2000 KDX200 and I am 5' 7".. with short legs!

I would like to get my feet a little more on the ground and am not sure what the best way to do so is with losing as little
performance as possible. I have searched the site and read multiple threads about the issue and have gotten some ideas but
am still not sure what the best route to go is. Get a lower seat? Use the lowering blocks? Not quite sure how adjustable the
shock is but I know thats where I will start.

anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lowering or not

Post by pumpguy »

All 3. Kouba links or similar will lower the rear end. Raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps will lower the front end. And of course cutting the seat foam will put your butt closer to the ground.

If you just lower the rear, the forks will have more rake angle and slow up the steering. Raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps will lower the front end, restoring the steering geometry. Shaving the seat foam won't leave as much cushion, if you're concerned about seat comfort.

If you're at all handy with metal working, you can make longer links from 1/4" steel plate. The number stamped on the stock links indicate their hole center distance. An internet search will tell you what center length will provide the amount of lowering.

Keep in mind that with the tires now closer to the fenders, there's more chance of their bottoming out against them. Ultimately this depends on how stiff your suspension is, and how aggressive a rider you are.
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Lowering or not

Post by travisvt »

Thank you I am trying to figure out which one of those options will lose the least amount of performance in the bike.
I don't mind losing a little cushion on the seat and am not that aggressive of a rider, i am a beginner for sure, been riding vintage bikes
in the woods four awhile but only a few times a year.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The best thing would be to have your forks and shock shortened internally, probably along with shaving some seat foam. The lowering links work well if you aren't that aggressive a rider.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Lowering or not

Post by jjavaman »

I purchased lowering links on eBay for 40$. One of the best things I did. For the price you can't go wrong.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Read up on having the suspension lowered internally.

Getting more used to the bike will lead to more confidence and skill in dabbing a foot when needed.

Shaving the seat puts you closer to bouncing your skeleton off the seat pan.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by travisvt »

Thanks a lot for the advice. Don't think I will be able to afford having the suspension internally lowered, so maybe I will try a set of the Kouba lowering links. Does anyone have any experience with them i'm curious if notice much of a difference in the handling of the bike especially with I believe the number threes which lower your bike the most? I am definitely not that aggressive about rider but would obviously like to be more aggressive as I get better.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

The KDX comes with a steep fork angle for woods riding which is terrible for high speed bumps as in motocross. Lowering the rear end will change the fork angle for better high speed bump handling so you don't swap ends (tank-slapper). But usually beginners are oblivious to this stuff so just do whatever is most convenient because you won 't be able to tell a difference until you become a better rider.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

My KDX's (have had 3 H series) all have been more stable than any MX bike I've owned. I've never had a moment of headshake from a KDX. I've found it on every MX bike except my last YZ250, which is renowned for it's stability. Even then, there were many moments when it felt "on the edge".
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

To keep it balanced front and rear you willw ant to lower the triple clamps on the front forks the same amount that the link drops the rear end. With the Kouba 3s a lot of folks run into issues with the fork legs contacting the handlebars when you lower the triple. At that point you can either go with leaving them there or use some bar risers to gain a little extra room. Generally that is what a taller rider wants anyways (opens the cockpit a bit) but for us height challenged guys it can take a little getting used to. As your skill level increases you will find that you can return the bike to stock height and still be comfortable on it.
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by travisvt »

I ordered the Kouba link 2 so we will see how that works. May still shave an inch or so off my seat since the seat is so thick on the Kdx anyways and It would help me feel more comfortable having more feet on the ground.
Thsnks a lot
SETXshooter
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by SETXshooter »

I am also 5'7 and found the bike a bit tall. I put the Kouba 2's on and raised the forks in the tree as much as I could and it handles great. I can put the balls of my feet firmly on the ground. I would also recommend properly adjusting shock for your height/weight. oing that on mine made a world of difference between kickstand height and mounted ready to ride height.

I also had to modify the kickstand length to keep the bike from falling over after lowering.
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Lowering or not

Post by travisvt »

Does anyone happen to know of any good youtube videos or tutorials on setting my suspension on my KDX for my weight?

Thanks
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Racetech's website (www.racetech.com) has a good explanation and walk through in their FAQ section. They also have a tool that provides the recommended spring rate. If after reviewing that you still have questions - ask away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by travisvt »

Sullyfam wrote:Racetech's website (http://www.racetech.com) has a good explanation and walk through in their FAQ section. They also have a tool that provides the recommended spring rate. If after reviewing that you still have questions - ask away!

Thank you, are there any KDX specific tutorials? I didn't see them on the racetech site? Also
what tool are you talking about and is it necessary?
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

No videos specific to a KDX that I know of, but it's all pretty much the same in terms of process and what to check.

The "tool" is a online tool that calculates the proper spring rate based on several variables. Go to the website and select "Dirtbike" under the "Dirt" option on the menu bar, scroll down to "HI-Performance Springs" and on the right there will be a link to "Find your recommended springs and spring rates. Select it tell it what bike you have. A screen will pop up showing you the stock settngs. Under "Fork Springs" there is a link "Calculate Fork Springs and Display Available Springs". Complete that form and BOOM!

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

If a visual helps, here is a good YouTube video

As I said, sag is the same process regards of dirtbike, so on we you have the proper springs and sag you should be good to go. If you don't have the right springs then the suspension just won't work right for you regardless of sag settings.