EFM clutch report

Got questions? We got answers....
EdC
Supporting Member

EFM clutch report

Post by EdC »

In case there are any of you out there in the fence, wondering if an EFM is worth it (like I was), wanted to pass along my opinion. I installed the clutch in 15 minutes, everything was set up, no adjustments necessary, ( I did request that it engage at as low of an ROM and as completely as possible , not sure if they are all set up like this).
From the first try the lockup and release was perfect, can't say enough how relieved I am that it is not like the Rev-Loc I tried. Blipping the throttle can produce controlled wheelies on demand, same low end as with the normal clutch set-up, if you want a little mush in the power curve just ride a gear high. Lock both brakes and engine drops to an idle, haven't had a stall yet.
To wrap up as a 50 year old NE rocks and roots rider the one thing that could make a KDX any better was an autoclutch, glad I did it.

BTW, I did the LHRB at the same time, think I'm gonna love it. Goodridge line, a couple ends and this master cylinder, ( all told was like 80.00 and feels just like the front brake.
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

EFM clutch report

Post by osobad »

I was going to get one then find out it had no override .I understand they work great but that was a deal killer for me. Enjoy and be safe.
EdC
Supporting Member

EFM clutch report

Post by EdC »

Yeah that is something to consider, but I had one of the original full pressure plate RevLocs on a KTM yras ago and I got used to it. Just a note, with a LHRB you have enough braking power to the rear wheel to tame the engine up to the midrange.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: EFM clutch report

Post by royadams »

Yea I love my efm as well. Luckily on the kdx 250 you get to keep the lever. I still use it on hill climbs.
Dodger

EFM clutch report

Post by Dodger »

Did you use Tungsten Carbide balls in order to get engagement at low revs?

Thanks
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
EdC
Supporting Member

Post by EdC »

Just put it in as sent from EFM, look like regular steel balls.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

EdC wrote:Just put it in as sent from EFM, look like regular steel balls.
Thanks for that.
I may be old, I may be slow, but hey I'm still getting my leg over - a dirt bike!
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

EFM clutch report

Post by Tioli »

Hi
Could you please explain the advantage of a LHRB?

Thanks
Tioli
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

EFM clutch report

Post by Tedh98 »

Do you have any pictures of the EFM clutch? I've never seen one up close to see what actually gets modified.

Do you send in your existing clutch to be modified or do they provide everything new?
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Here is a pic of the one for the 250. Since my clutch works opposite of the 200/220 I dont know what's different. But they modify your original basket.

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Thanks for the picture. So I would guess your basket has to be in pretty good shape to start with.
EdC
Supporting Member

EFM clutch report

Post by EdC »

Sorry I didn't take any pics before I installed it.

The clutch for the H model looks just like the one for the 250 except the center section is completely open.
There really is a lot of machine work to it, the clutch hub ends up just a cylinder big enough to hold all the steel plates, no bottom lip. What is called the clutch wheel in the parts fiche is gone, (the part with the fingers for the clutch springs), as a matter of fat there are no clutch springs except for those contained in the pressure plate to release the plates at low revs. The mods on the basket are that he machines threads in the very bottom in the canter of each finger that accommodate the screws that hold the pressure plate on. A lot of machine work, but really simple operation when all is said and done, I guess that is why they have such a bulletproof rep.

The advantage for me in the LHRB is that you always have access, whether you are taking a tight right turn, paddling through a rock garden, fighting a nasty rocky uphill, etc. NE doesn't have many wide open smooth trails, almost all of them are full of trail junk. Besides with the EFM there is no clutch work so I figured I may as well fill the real estate with something useful. I used a cheap Chinese master cylinder for a quad, works good and has a parking brake feature which is handy because the autoclutch lets the bike roll in gear when parked.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

The basket has to be good. If you wear the basket out he charges around $125 to machine your new one. The bad part is he won't do an aftermarket basket.
EdC
Supporting Member

EFM clutch report

Post by EdC »

Good point, I wouldn't want to spend that much on a questionable basket. I was lucky, the one I sent didn't even have marks yet (a1995 barn find with original chain and tires) I will die before the clutch! If I had one grooved or already filed I might just get a fresh basket.