Fouled Plug??? Blown top end???

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

I took my 19 month old son to the park on my plated KDX 220. :cool: After, he went in for a bath and I went back out for a ride on the town. :mrgreen: Most of the ride I stayed under the power band, occasionally getting into the power band. Thirty minutes in, as I was climbing into the power band, my bike suddenly started to spit and sputter as if my bike was cold. Then I lost my power band all together. When I would give it gas, it would just bog. It got worse and worse until the bike died. :shock:

I think I just fouled my spark plug. Tomorrow I'll change it and see what happens. How can you tell when you need a new top end? Any tips? :neutral:
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fouled Plug??? Blown top end???

Post by Sullyfam »

Compression test would be a good way. When's the last time you did the top end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I think I'd go back first thing in the morning and look for my powerband. :razz: Sorry couldn't resist.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Sounds stupid, but check the carb. I have a crappy fuel cap and figured my top-end or plug were done. Only 60 hours or so since my last top-end, so I figured I'd check the plug first. Still wouldn't start so I had it but on a minibus and sent it to the city. Ended up just having water in the carb.. Didn't bother checking as it's the dry season, but we had three heavy rains here which somehow got into the tank... Start with the stupid stuff first is what I'm saying.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Sullyfam wrote:Compression test would be a good way. When's the last time you did the top end?

If I remember right, PO only had the bike for about 9 months. He said the PO before him did a top end rebuild I think 6 months previous. This is the second summer I've had the bike. So I'd say about three years ago. How long do they typically last.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

canamfan wrote:I think I'd go back first thing in the morning and look for my powerband. :razz: Sorry couldn't resist.
Made me laugh. I wish I could.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Bitteeinit wrote:Sounds stupid, but check the carb. I have a crappy fuel cap and figured my top-end or plug were done. Only 60 hours or so since my last top-end, so I figured I'd check the plug first. Still wouldn't start so I had it but on a minibus and sent it to the city. Ended up just having water in the carb.. Didn't bother checking as it's the dry season, but we had three heavy rains here which somehow got into the tank... Start with the stupid stuff first is what I'm saying.
Yeah my first thought was that I was running out of fuel. I switched it to reserve but no difference. I'll start with the plug but then I'll check the carb. Thanks for the tip. I'm heading out now to fiddle with it. I'll let you know.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Never hurt to do a compression test. Regardless of what POs say, I typically pull the top end off and give things a check for myself. I typically change my top end every 50hrs, however I just re-ringed my yz250 because the piston specked out just fine. Really depends on how hard you ride, but 50hrs has worked well for me.

morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Sullyfam wrote:Never hurt to do a compression test. Regardless of what POs say, I typically pull the top end off and give things a check for myself. I typically change my top end every 50hrs, however I just re-ringed my yz250 because the piston specked out just fine. Really depends on how hard you ride, but 50hrs has worked well for me.

50 hours? Wow. So is that about once a year for you? My previous bike was a KX 500. I rode that thing for 7 solid years and only changed the top end once.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

So I changed the spark plug and it fired back to life with only a couple of kicks. The Kawasaki dealer said the plug I needed was the BR8ES. But the plug that came out of it was the BR9ES. Any idea what the difference is?
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

The 9 is a cooler heat range. 8 is correct for the 220. 9 for the aircooled KDXs.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Yes, 50hrs for me is about a season of riding. However, how you ride will also influence frequency. For example, tons of racing spent at high rpms would likely require a top end sooner than casual trail riding burbling down low. So it's entirely possible to go several years without the need for a top end.

Also,If you don't have one already, an hour meter is a good investment. They cost about $20, are easy to install and take the guess work out of proper maintenance intervals.

KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Hey Sullfam, What hour meter would you recommend?
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I have a Trail Tech which cost $25-30 on Amazon. There are others out there I'm sure work just as well.