Sea level jetting? CC, what do you jet for at the dunes?

Got questions? We got answers....
meistro

Sea level jetting? CC, what do you jet for at the dunes?

Post by meistro »

I am planning a couple of trips to Sandlake Or. Amazingly this will be my first ride at sea level. I think I should rejet because I normally ride at 3-4000 feet altitude. I am currently jetted at a 40 pilot and 150 main. This combo works very well at the higher altitudes for me. Will a 42 pilot and a 152 main be adequate or do i need to go more.
CaynonCarver, I believe I read a while back on some other web site (he he) that you rode the dunes with some frequency, and your are the resident expert in my book.
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by farmerj »

meistro,

Do wait for a response! My guess is that 152 will NOT be adequate!

Jeff
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

152 will be fine....for a top-end job. ;)

Sand is mostly WOT all the time. The lower jetting selections won't matter a whole lot.

I don't see you mention what model you run...don't see it in your profile, either. Obviously, that will matter.

If you have any modifications to your bike...airbox and any aftermarket pipe mostly...you will want to run a bit richer than the stock jetting. Sheesh..it's been so long, I've forgotten what that is! What....a 200 comes with a 48/160? Last time I was at the coast I ran 42/165. It so happens I had a plug disintegrate (a fine wire..if you're running a fine wire plug at least put in a new one...or change back to an ES)...but it sure was running good until it went b-a-l-o-o-e-y!.

A torque pipe will take at least one main smaller than a rev does.

Certainly, start rich and work down. DO NOT run your bike in the sand with the jetting you have. You will kill it for sure.

I'm assuming you are going to be running a paddle tire? That will put considerably more load on your bike than a knobby will....with subsequent richer jetting required.

Check your (new) plug after a short run. The trouble is well worth NOT having to get a tow back to camp.

Expect your fuel consumption to skyrocket! I've gotten as little as 25 miles on a tank of fuel on the dunes.

Listen for pinging. If you hear much at all...you should change your jetting immediately!

While I've run my bike in the sand (Spinreel/Horsfal...North Bend) mostly, I'm not a big sand fan. WAY too much work!

Give me a Banshee!! Now THAT'S fun!!! You don't fall over when you stop!! ;)

Good luck! Check whatever jetting you are running to be sure!

Watch for lean-roll seizure stuff. In other words, don't run WOT down the beach (of course you wouldn't do THAT...there being a 25mph speed limit on the beach..ha!) for ten minutes, then back off to 1/2 throttle with the wind at your back. You might be looking at another instance of a tow. Belive me, in the sand, that sucks most huge!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
meistro

Post by meistro »

It blowed up! Toast! Kablooowie! The piston shot right out the top and into the gas tank.
ha ha..just kidding.
CC , I just happened to see your post the day after I went to the dunes. Im with you, its not the most fun I can have on a dirt bike. It takes total power at all times to have fun in the sand, except right down on the beach, that is pretty fun, a good place to race around and practice wheelies and flat track.
My KDX 200 (00) has a FMF woods pipe, turbinecore 2 silencer,Boyeson 607 reeds, no airbox lid,13tooth front sproket, Xr400 fork springs (40kg, these are a great mod, huge inprovment for 25 bucks, bought new from the XR guys on Thumpertalk) .
I jetted my main to a 160, and the pilot to a 48. I only have knobbies and I had no problems getting around in the sand or with bike performance. But it was certainly the hardest I have ever run my bike. The sand just sucks the power. So its all or nothing as far as throttle control. I have never ridden so fast and felt like I was on the ragged edge of control at all times. (jthe trick is to let the bike float underneath you) I did all the hills I could find-no problems. It was topped out in 6th gear a few times. Wild, but not my bag. I get bored stiff in about 2 hours with this kind of riding. I am much more a woods rider. There a few people down there at Sandlake riding quads, but the Rangers and Police was overkill considering it was a week before Xmas and few people. I rarely see any LEO's when I go ride in the woods. Thanks again for the info.
HappyNewyear!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Glad you made it back in one piece!

You likely would have had trouble with a 160 if you had a paddle tire.

Sandlake is much smaller than the N.Bend dunes. You would get a whole lot less bored in the spinreel/horsfal area. Dunes are bigger, too (so I've been told). If you're at all interested in sand you owe yourself a trip to N. Bend.

Next time I go over, I'm taking my new toy (some twin/2-stroke/water-cooled thing)! Really looking forward to it!

Yes, Ron is going to modify the carbs!! And of course, as soon as the DF3 goes into production, I'll be getting a couple of THEM, too!! Shoot! If all that works well in the KDX, it's GOTTA be good for this other thing, don't it?

I mean...it's only reasonable! ;)

Interesting I got notification of this post only today? Ten days after???

My ISP is closing its doors the EOY..must be their problem...

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!