Any difference?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Well who won ?? :whistle:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Dirt Daddy-

Looks like you live in the peoples republik of Kulifornea.

I just have to ask: Are you totally familiar with the Green Sticker/Red Sticker issues here in sillyland?

All 2-strokes from 2003 on are red sticker and cannot be ridden on public land, OHV areas, national forests etc (with a very few, very limited exceptions). Red sticker bikes are consider "closed course" bikes. Green sticker bikes can be ridden on public lands. All 2002 and earlier bikes (both 2 and 4 stroke) are grandfathered in as green sticker models.

Note also that many of the higher performance 4-strokes are red stickered as well.

Here is a link to the DMV website with more info:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvredgreen.htm

I bought my son a clean used 2002 KDX 220 and I cannot say enough good about it. It is everything all of the knuckleheads on this site say it is and much more. I went with the '02 as we ride in places where the trail nazis check for green stickers.

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i will race you jason but my "hobby-horse" is pretty dang fast.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I hope to get the '94 up and going soon. So far, I only have the frame painted and the triple clamps on. I have a good bit of work to do on it (clean/grease bearings. revalve forks and shock, piston kit, etc.).

Weather wise, it is past the '60's and 70's fall weather and into the early winter weather. :sad:

kdx220freak: I am just asking to be sure. Do you know what a hobby horse is? Even "I" am not old enough to have had one of those.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

If you stare at the pic for long enough a hobby horse should appear, I'm still looking. :shock: :drool:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:It IS 95% rider and 5% bike. Well...put in whatever numbers you want.

I've ridden with enough guys on 'little' bikes that easily let me full well realize that size don't matter.
Dunno if I mentioned this yet or not but at the Berthoud H.S. I'm on the last lap (and I'm way down, of course, because of my crash) and there's a guy on a Suzuki DR350 about 200-300 yds ahead of me. I thought to myself "Okay, I'm gonna pass that guy and call it a day!". We got to the twisties and I closed the gap and made the pass, taking an softer outside line and clutching it past him. Whoo-hoo!!! A couple of turns later, I hear "Whom, whom, whom"- the unmistakeable sound of a large 4-stroke. It's a right hand turn and a long uphill and Mr. DR350 goes motoring past me on the uphill!! Well...we can't have THIS!!! I mean, the guy's got headlights and a licence plate!!! I must defend The KDX Pride!!! So, I dog him and we get to the whoop section. Predicitably, he rolls them. Seeing an opportunity, I doubled-doubled-doubled my way out (and at that stage of the race, it COST me to pull on the bars!!!) and got ahead again. Into the MX track. Here, I'm still very cautious but so is he. I can hear him coming and as I go around a right hander, there he is, right on my butt. He passes me again on a straight and then in the very next turn gives it too much gas and "brodies" around. Whoo-hoo!!! I take the outside and pass him again! I held it this time for several turns and then he out-jumps me into a dip and takes the lead again!!! Out-jumped by a DR350-Arghhh!!!! This time, I decide to Langston it and wait until the last couple of turns before passing, so I follow him thru some doubles, thru some whoops, taking as tight a line as I dare in case he drops it again. Well, he doesn't and I'm absolutely so exhausted I can barely hang on. So, here we go- down the start hill, last 180 deg right hand corner coming up. I'm right on his butt and....he goes in too hot, gets off the single line thru the corner, off the berm and there's my opening! I clutch 2nd thru the line, grab 3rd and Mr. DR350 catches up to me on the 100yd uphill straight. We're neck to neck drag racing up the last hill, and there's only room for 1 of us thru the scoring gate!!! I'm laughing at this point- here we are gunning for 35th place!!!???- so I just eased off and left him have it. And then guess what? He goes to the Novice gate and I'm thru the Sportsman gate! We weren't even competitors!

But, it just goes to show you how important the rider is...I got spanked by a DR350 for crying out loud!!! :rolleyes: Of course, if I wouldn't have crashed and exhausted myself, I'd have smoked him thru the MX track, but could'da, woul'da, shoul'da doesn't count for anything at the checkered flag, right?
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

AH HA HA HA! LOL! :lol: Great story! :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
GS

Post by GS »

Good writing! Sounds as though you really took the bait and ran with it. Would you have hung it all out if you knew he wasn't in the same class??
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

>|<>QBB<
4Rider wrote:Dirt Daddy-

Looks like you live in the peoples republik of Kulifornea.

I just have to ask: Are you totally familiar with the Green Sticker/Red Sticker issues here in sillyland?

All 2-strokes from 2003 on are red sticker and cannot be ridden on public land, OHV areas, national forests etc (with a very few, very limited exceptions). Red sticker bikes are consider "closed course" bikes. Green sticker bikes can be ridden on public lands. All 2002 and earlier bikes (both 2 and 4 stroke) are grandfathered in as green sticker models.

Note also that many of the higher performance 4-strokes are red stickered as well.

Here is a link to the DMV website with more info:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvredgreen.htm

I bought my son a clean used 2002 KDX 220 and I cannot say enough good about it. It is everything all of the knuckleheads on this site say it is and much more. I went with the '02 as we ride in places where the trail nazis check for green stickers.

Mark
Mark,
Thank you for mentioning that. I was wondering about the whole green/red sticker thing. Sounds like I'll be looking for a good used bike! Here's a question for you or someone else if they know... If a bike was purchased in Oregon and you got a "sticker" from that state, what would be the implications if you were riding it in California?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That would depend if the two states honor their sticker system.

Like here in Illinois....
States with reciprocal agreements with Illinois include, Iowa, Tennessee and Oregon

Oregon? :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

California and Oregon honor each others stickers without question. I've been checked in Oregon and have seen California check out-of-staters as well. No problems.

BTW there are plenty of newer-than-2002 dirtbikes that can be green stickered in California. Most of the 4 stroke KTM's for example. At least that's what the dealer ads are saying in the local newspapers.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Dirt Daddy-

Skipro3 is correct. The California Nazis do honor all out of state off-highway stickers as if they are green stickers. Many of the Marines (Lots of USMC heros live and ride around here) buy bikes here then get stickers from their home states. Many of the off-road stores sell Utah off-highway stickers over the counter. The only rub comes when the sticker expires and you have to renew it. Without a permanent address in another state you could be up a creek.

I have heard (heard mind you, not experienced or personally observed) that some of the California State Park gate keepers will ask to see an out-of-state ID when you have a bike with out of state stickers. They won't tag you for riding a prohibited bike, but they will ticket you for failing to register your bike within 10 days of purchase. We have been checked numerous times by rangers in several of the Cal OHV parks (Hungry Valley, El Mirage Lake, Ocotillo etc). Some of the "rangers" have been friendly and reasonable, and several have been total assholes with huge ego chips perched on their shoulders.

If you buy a used out of state bike with an off-road sticker and register it in California, they use the VIN number and year model to determine eligibility for a green sticker. If you purchase a street licensed bike from out of state you can street register it in California without regard to the year model, but again, they use the VIN to determine green sticker eligibility.

One, make that two, last things then I'll climb off my soap box. Make sure your terminal exhaust is clearly labeled as being equipped with a USFS approved spark arrestor, preferably with the info stamped into the metal of the system. Most of the "rangers" think the only type of approved spark arrestor is an ember screen for what it is worth. The second thing is noise emissions. We were stopped at Hungry Valley and subjected to a sound decibel check last year. It was obvious that the guy doing the checking didn't have a clue what he was doing, but fortunately we all made the cut. My understanding is that most of the 2-strokes pass with no problem, but most of the 4-strokes are iffy. My KTM 640 with a Big Gun exhaust just passes with one of the quiet core inserts installed, which costs me about 8+ horsepower. Since it still has about 58 left over thats ok (not exactly stock).

Find a nice '02 or older KDX, add a Gnarly Woods pipe, rejet and you can't go wrong. If you have money left over, spend it on suspension not on the motor.

Mark
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

my moneys on inda. daddy get the 04 its a good bike my friend has one. then send your carb to rb. you want even think about the 220 after that.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

whats the deal with the green and red stickers and why is california so friggin crazy

california is probably responsible for the 2 stroke being canc'd

screw california :evil:
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

89kdx200rdr,

To all of the ultra-liberal, tree hugging, tofu eating, perrier swilling environazis the Red Sticker/Green Sticker issue is just the beginning. If they had their way all motorcycles, in fact, all motorized conveyances of any kind would be totally banned from all public lands. In Riverside County they have even persuaded the local store-bought (uh, I mean legitimately elected public representatives, yeah right) politicos to ban people from riding their own motorcycles on their own property.

It is a big deal, and yes, california is why the 2-strokes are all disappearing. Nobody is more sick about this then those of us who have to admit that we live here.

The sad reality is that you have to play the game if you want to legally ride of road in the peoples republic of california. All this is coming to a state near you.

For what it's worth, trying to screw california won't do any good, the official state gender is eunich.........
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

what do we have to do to make it right? dont tell me call your congressman cause thats a joke. they just havent gotten to tree huggin really hard here yet
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

89kdx200rdr wrote:what do we have to do to make it right? dont tell me call your congressman cause thats a joke. they just havent gotten to tree huggin really hard here yet
There's a lot you can do. 1) vote, and vote republican. 2) DO WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMEN!! it actually does help, mine has even taken the time to write back a two page letter (not related to dirt biking) on one occasion. On another, I spoke to our governor when he was campaigning and told him what I thought the states problems were. Now, I'm not saying I made the difference, but within 30 days of him being elected my top issue was his too. In fact, he told the bureaucrats responsible for the problem they had 30 days to get moving, or he would use a plan that involved them looking for jobs. 3) Join as many advocate groups as you can, and try to get these groups to work together. 4) Self-police. When you see some freaking retard that gives us a bad name by "making his own trails" or violating a no usage area, talk to him. 5) Get your buddies to quit whining and do the same things above.

The reason the enviro-nazis succeed is that they do the things above, and they have no other lives for the most part. They can easily invest the time into making their voices heard even though they are the minority. Because they do the items above, and join so many whacko groups, the general public thinks these nuts are reasonable. In my opinion we've done a bad PR job for years and let this stuff get way out of hand. Now we're fighting a much tougher battle than it would have been if we had been smart 20 years ago.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Colorado Mike has it right.

Do call and write your senators and congressmen. Do call and write to your assemblymen or whatever local/state representatives you have. So join the pro-user advocacy groups like Blue Ribbon Coalition, CORVA etc.

I keep seeing some corny quote that is something to effect of:

All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to stand by and do nothing

Appologies to the actual author and the correct quotation, but I think you can get the point. If we stand by, surrender or do nothing that we will lose.

I thought that Vince was talking about doing some kind of KDXrider group membership in the Blue Ribbon group. What's up with that Vince? (I know you are awake monitoring the posts)

Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Actually I developed woodsrider.net for the project. Just haven't had enough time to add content. I need support for the site in the form of content. Post what is going on around your areas and what needs to be done.
BRC was not very supportive of what I am doing because I don't have the IRS's approval as a not for profit organization. Lot's of red tape and takes money to be able to have the opportunity to do some good. :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

mike i like the way you think when are you running for president? just joking. but if you were i'd vote for ya
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F