suggestions on a skid plate for kdx200H

Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

I have a 2001 KDX 200 and have been considering installing a skid plate on it.

I'm trying to decide between an aluminum plate like the Ricochet, or a plastic one from Hyde racing.

Have read that the Hyde provides more good protection, but it can be difficult to install.

Have also read that aluminum skid plates can reflect a lot of noise back at the rider.

Any recommendations between these two options (or any other options) ??

I'm probably over analyzing this whole thing, but I want to make a good choice.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: suggestions on a skid plate for kdx200H

Post by Sullyfam »

I have an aluminum one on the KDX and have run aluminum and carbon fiber on other bikes and can't really say I noticed any noise or performance differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Every skid pan I've had is a bit of a pain. My aluminum pan, with a hard hit, can get knocked a bit loose and make a terrible sounding noise at a certain RPM. Plastic breaks easier. I completely lost one, and the tabs were still on the bike.

Either way you're good, and the cost is way less than an engine.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I have a Hyde skid plate in my garage. Fit seems to be terrible to me. I use aluminum skid plates on my bikes, I think the protection is better.
I'm going to try to make a skid plate, for my son's 220, out of a cutting board. Seems easy enough to do and I can cut it to cover the linkage as well as the motor.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
chippy

Post by chippy »

I am running the Hyde Racing skid plate. The coverage is good and yes, they are less noisy. (makes a bigger difference with a 4 stroke bike) That said, yes, it can be difficult to fit to your bike. Nothing that the average Joe cannot handle. I did use a heat gun to improve the fit at the front. (snug it up a bit) I also opened the hole up a bit to make oil changes easier. This stuff is TOUGH. I think in the long run it will be much more durable than aluminum.