new bike kdx220r need some help

Got questions? We got answers....
openthrottle55

Post by openthrottle55 »

Bought this bike. Love it. However its supposedly built, idk i can't tell but it rips. I just sold a cr250 amd ,y kdx walked all over it in speed and power. Heres my issue.. the jets are blank and it has a full fmf pipe. So basicslly im trying to figure out what premix i should run at since its piped and jetted its gots be jetted simce theres no numbers on jets. So you guys think i shouldca full synthetic at 50.1 or just 40.1 i ride pretty hard eben though its woods im in ohio......
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: new bike kdx220r need some help

Post by 6 Riders »

Call the PO and ask what he ran in it.....do the same. 40:1 is the most common here, 50:1 is fine for trail riding and synthetics.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

keep in mind that unless you stick with the same ratio of the same oil to the same grade gas as the previous owner you should rejet it anyway
(in which case it would still be nice to know what is in there, got any pics of them?)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

The manual calls for 32:1, I'd start rich and lean it out if you have plug fouling issues. Oil is a lot less expensive then engine rebuilds!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

its piped and jetted its gots be jetted simce theres no numbers on jets
FYI, this makes no sense. Jets are all stamped with numbers, otherwise how would you ever know what size jet you are installing?? Is it possible the numbers have been marred or worn off via pliers or some other improper tool for installing / removing them?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

+1 what he said ^^^
What pipe, silencer is on there? Have you opened the carb to look at the jets? pics? Hopefully somewhere in the past the stock piston has been replaced, if not you will want to consider it. 40:1 is fine, 32:1 is fine, 50:1 is fine...the important part has already been stated by my good friend DIY...Pick a ratio and oil, jet to it, and stick to it for best performance.
openthrottle55

Post by openthrottle55 »

Junk ebay jets alot of times are unstamped. They appear to be new and he was running 32.1 however he only had it a month and doesnt know what the guy had it at before him lol.. if im running full fmf what jets you guys recommend to start with?
openthrottle55

Post by openthrottle55 »

Yea he had all the receipts the top end was all replaced with new and the vin was on work order
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Every bike is slightly different, even with all the same mods. Some folks on here will glady share their jetting setups to give you an idea where to start. Jets are fairly cheap so you can get a selection from Sudco or one of the other online places. I have a 2001 KDX220 motor in a 2001 KX125 frame. Running a stock pipe, FMF turbine Core2, Wiseco piston, stock carb, no airbox lid and 40:1 amsoil. My jets are currently a 150MJ, 42PJ, 1137 needle on 3rd clip, AS 1.25 turns out. I get a little spooge dribble out the pipe after a full day of riding but plug is a beautiful light mocha.
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

couldnt help but notice your comment about the jets being "blank"....theyre all numbered unless the id #'s have been worn off..I've always ran a 32:1 ratio using yamalube premix on all bikes ive ever owned and never had a problem...jetting varied...I'd replace all the jets you cant identify with stock settings and do plug readings throughout the various throttle ranges....the most ive ever had to do was lean out my pilot.....never had many jetting problems. Sincerely, goon mechanic from western PA
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I bought jets that I thought initially weren't stamped until closer inspection proved there indeed were albeit the smallest of stamp on the bottom of the jet. Most are stamped on the side, but these sides were "blank" so maybe check the bottom of yours and perhaps you will see the marking a you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
openthrottle55

Post by openthrottle55 »

Ok guys he was right alil sand n I found jets.. 165 main n a 48.. also im having a top end knock/ping and a off throttle bog. I just tore the entire head cleaned everything sounds way better n alot more power. I was also habing a hard start issue wich is now fixed. Compression is at 170 and passed the leak test so bottom end is good.
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Good to hear!
Thanks for the update.