Funny story and speedo question.

Got questions? We got answers....
bored808

Post by bored808 »

Since it was in the 50s today I decided to take my plated kdx out for a maiden voyage. Luckily something in the back of my head said make sure to take all your credentials.
I didn't even make it a mile before getting pulled over. Lucky for me that he was cool and he let me go. I started telling him that I just bought the bike to go on a trip up pikes peak and Moab.
Turns out he has a 93 kx125, go figure

So right now I have the tripometer but want to get a speedometer.
I was looking at some "universal" ones on eBay. They often refer to a ratio. What would the speedo ratio be for a kdx?

I was also thinking about the electronic ones from trail tech or where ever but don't want to spend a lot.
Maybe I should stop being so cheap cuz a speeding ticket is about $175.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

And a trail tech voyager is about $200.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Funny story and speedo question.

Post by 6 Riders »

I'm currently using an old cell phone, works just fine. Trailtech has 3 options available from $70 to $250(ish). I think the $70 one is just fine and the right size for a KDX. IIRC the ratio set in my TT is 2199. Even bicycle speedo's give you instructions on how to get the measurements, then minus "1" for tire wear.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bored808

Post by bored808 »

I like the $70 option but it looks like you also have to buy the mount for about $40? it looks like the one my buddy has on his 530exc.
I like the cell phone option, do you just get an app and mount it to your bars?

I was looking at one like this:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151330394367?nav=SEARCH
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

bored808 wrote:I like the $70 option but it looks like you also have to buy the mount for about $40? it looks like the one my buddy has on his 530exc.
I like the cell phone option, do you just get an app and mount it to your bars?

I was looking at one like this:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151330394367?nav=SEARCH
The $70 option comes with a mount. It's not the greatest, but it works well.
I did download an app and bought a bicycle handlebar mount for it, strapped it to the DX and rode. The only thing is the GPS can take a second to update, so.....If you are getting on the gas, which you will, the speedo doesn't exactly keep up.

Now, my funny story.....

I was "playing" on my kids KX 65 (which needs the exhaust repacked badly) riding up and down the street, bugging all the neighbors. A little bit later I jumped on my (not so) legal KDX and take off for a spin....Hit the stop sign a 1/2 block down the street and there is a cop :blink: I just flipped on my turn signal and took off, watching him look for a plate (which is there, just not for this particular bike). Go around the block, pass the cop again! I love having a plate on my DX!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type