Any "cush drive" rear wheels that swap onto an E?

Got questions? We got answers....
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I'm in the process of plating my '89 KDX200 and I was wondering if anyone knew of a rear wheel with a cush drive mechanism that would swap easily onto the KDX. I get the impression that riding on pavement without a cush mechanism isn't too hard on these gearboxes but I'd like to have something. I love my motorcycles and I have a lot of mechanical sympathy for them.
My plan is to have a set of dual sport wheels and set of off-road wheels that I can swap around depending on what type of riding I'm planning. I'd really like to have a cush drive wheel for the rear. The only caveat is that it would have to be a very easy swap since I'd be regularly switching back to the stock KDX wheel. It wouldn't be practical to have to swap axles, brakes, etc.
I'd be willing to do some machining to another wheel to make it work but I thought that I'd check here to see if anyone knew anything before I really started digging into the issue. Thanks.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

A lot of dual sport people go away from the "cush drive" wheel. So you may want to give it a try before you worry too much.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Any "cush drive" rear wheels that swap onto an E?

Post by newbbewb »

Man I HATED the cush drive on my old klr250. BOOOO!

KLR 650 would be my first look. cush drive, rear disc brake. something tells me the swingarm isn't wide enough for any cush drive.

That being said, I've never heard or read about anyone breaking a transmission on a kdx. The clutches are tough. Maintenance is almost optional. Just ride it!
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

newbbewb wrote: That being said, I've never heard or read about anyone breaking a transmission on a kdx. The clutches are tough. Maintenance is almost optional. Just ride it!
There's also a significantly less natural engine-braking on 2 strokes, which translates to much milder driveline lash.
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

That's good to hear. You guys are probably right. I don't think the SR model came with any sort of cush drive and it was designed to see pavement use. That points to it being a non-issue as well.