Jetting question

Got questions? We got answers....
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Jetting question

Post by JFortner5 »

I decided to drain my tank of the premix that was in the bike when I bought it. The previous owner was using Amsoil Dominator at 50:1.

I decided to use Maxima 927 at 40:1. I feel better with a little more oil, and it's nice to just use a whole 16oz bottle and mix up 5 gallons.

I also felt like the bike was a little rich before, but I'll come back to that.

I rode it today and it runs good (and smells better) but at about 1/2 throttle I get a little hesitation. It runs clean off the bottom but 1/2 throttle it kind of sputters a little. If I open the throttle more it picks right up and takes off.

It doesn't make that "boooowaaaaahhhh" lean bog sound so I'm thinking I might drop the needle a clip. Unfortunately I don't know what jets are in the carb I haven't had it apart.

So back to me thinking it was rich... I had a good bit of spooge on the swing arm and some coming out of the pipe. Well today riding with the 927 the bike is pretty smoky. I've been using 927 in my lawn equipment and it smokes much less than standard premix. I am starting to think the packing is saturated with oil causing all the smoke and spooge. I rode for about 2 hours today and there was just a little trickle of it on the end of the silencer.

I can't remember what's in my signature (I'm on tapatalk) but the bike has a fresh top end, an fmf desert pipe, and a powercore2.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Re: Jetting question

Post by JFortner5 »

Here's a little video, the sound isn't real good but you might be able to hear what I mean at about 1:40-1:45 when I open it up a little. Sorry it's a boring video but it was my first try with a gopro. Just out having a good time with my son. I'm glad to have that field right behind the neighborhood.

First Gopro video:
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Jetting question

Post by Jaguar »

some spooge is normal.
yeah you should try dropping the needle one or two notches. Most jetting changes are just the main jet so your needle is probably stock.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/