KX's In The Woods.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KX's In The Woods.

Post by jafo »

I've seen several riders here go out and score some KX's. My question is, how do you realy like them in the woods? I'm thinkingabout getting a KX myself, and have decided I'm probably going to try to buy one of Destry Abbotts old race bikes sometime. So how do you like them?

Jon.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

To somewhat sum up what opthers have said....Most love them, but they need a wide trans mod, or an auto-clutch to crawl through tight stuff...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A flywheel weight will help on stalling issues too...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

A freind of mine has a KX250, we ride together quite a bit, and he smokes me everywhere. He's a better rider than me, but his bike gives him no trouble in the twisties . Another guy I ride with occasionally has a KX500. He seems to have no trouble riding in the tight stuff, and in the open, he just disappears. The suspension on the MX bikes is just way better than a KDX IMHO.

When I get on the KX5, It almost feels like one of those hover bikes in the old Star Wars movie, you twist the throttle and the terrain just blurs. The front just kisses the ground every 30' or so, and the rear either soaks up the bumps or shreds them.

If I was buying a bike today I would probably bring home a YZ250, or the KX250. The 500 would be mighty fun though, if I rode more on the west side of the rockies, I'd get that. Here's a thought.... KX5 converted to supermoto would be a blast!

The only problems I see with an MX bike are pretty minor; I'd need to change the tank, add a kickstand, and add lights. Maybe in eastern terrain an MX bike would have more trouble, I don't know. In the Rockies they seem to do just fine.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:When I get on the KX5, It almost feels like one of those hover bikes in the old Star Wars movie, you twist the throttle and the terrain just blurs. The front just kisses the ground every 30' or so, and the rear either soaks up the bumps or shreds them.
:grin: :grin:

I'm still thinking really hard about getting a KX250 myself. I really don't ride tight woods at all- they're mostly jeep roads and I really think an MX bike with softer suspension would work just fine in there. But, ya know how it is- there's no way to know unless you try. Really, the solution for me is to just go ahead and get a used KX250, have all 3 bikes for a little while, and then sell what I need the least. I'd hate to sell the 125 or KDX and then find out I really like them better.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I fully support your decision to buy an additional bike. :grin: You will never know until you try it. If you do get all 3, I bet the 125 will be sold. Poor feller. :sad:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KDX is a purpose built bike, if you don't ride in the terrain it is meant for then I could see why you would want something else.

Sounds like the KX500 would be the ticket for you. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah, get all 4, then decide. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:Yeah, get all 4, then decide. :mrgreen:
I"ve already decided! I can't afford it!
:grin:

I don't think I'd like a 500. Too heavy. What I would REALLY like is the KDX200 engine in the KX125 chassis. Shhh....what's that sound? Faintly...in the distance? (ktm200, ktm200, ktm200...go pumpkin....go pumpkin...ktm200) Ya'll hear that?
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Don't get me wrong, I like my little 220. I'm just considering an MX'r to race with and have the KDX for trail riding. A friend of mine has a YZ 250 and a KX 125. Believe it or not, the 125 is alittle bit of a handfull in the woods, but he does great with his YX250. He prefers it over the little 125. The KX 125 just has such a hard hit in the powerband range that he has to be careful in the timber. He on his KX 125, another friend on his CR250 and me on the 220 were racing a flat oval dirt track in a field one day and we all got bunched together. Comming out of the fourth turn, he was ahead the CR was in the middle and I was trailing rite behind the CR. He gunned it out of the turn and the bike just shot outfrom under him. It almost lokked cartoon like. He tumbled, the bike shot out and headed for the row of trucks. But the scary part was that when the bike shot out and to the left, the friend on the CR shot to the far left in an attempt to pass the KX125. Needless to say the KX almost ran directly into the CR and fell just short of the row of pickup trucks. Scary deal. So that means I won, but thats another story. :lol:

Anyways i wasnted to get some more perspectives on going MX for woods racing.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If I buy another bike , I think it will be a KTM 400 EXC. They are not as fragile as the Jap 4 strokers because the come with stainless steel valves. But, they still require quite a bit of maintenance.

I would like to try the KX250 just for giggles though.... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

:shock:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I rode a 96 or 98 KTM400 (had white and purple graphics I think, maybe white plastics??) but it was an under-powered, heavy pig. The owner took my 2000 YZ426F for a squirt at the same time and came back white. Seriously, he had a cigarette when he got back and you could see his hands shaking. I rode a 2000 XR4 and I reckon that thing would have been just as quick, if not quicker.

I have ridden my mates 2000 KX250 a fair bit lately and the power in the tight stuff still is a bit intimidating but in the WOT stuff she is goooood fun...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."