kipps valve

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

kipps valve

Post by kaw814 »

Are there any instructional videos on this site that show how to put a kipps system back together? If not, does anyone know where i can find one. Im at a level of frustration to where i'm considering selling "as is" . Im completely lost and dont know why i cant grasp this
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kipps valve

Post by Keystone »

What year is your bike? They are different.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: kipps valve

Post by diymirage »

how far in are you?

its like one big puzzle but once you figure out the first two or three pieces it all falls into place
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

This is an H series I believe.

Question from your other post on this same topic: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 33#p159433
kaw814 wrote:thx for the help folks.....i couldn't find the timing marks...my service manual shows a different timing mark than the bike actually has. I actually had a mechanic show me what to look for.
I am confused when you say you couldn't find the timing marks. Did the PO take a grinding wheel to your parts? I'm asking because the marks you use for timing are ground in or are indentations on the parts. You would have to physically alter the parts to remove the timing marks.

Can you post pictures of your KIPS parts?
kaw814

kipps valve

Post by kaw814 »

folks, i thought i had this...its an 02 kdx 220....ive got so many questions i dont even know where to start. #1...how do i post a pic...please bear in mind that you all are dealing with a mental midget at this point. Ive located timing marks and can prob get this nightmare together but dont understand the operation of it. What actually moves? The valve is in the front connected to a horizontal shaft at the bottom...all the linkage hooks together like a puzzle, as a few of you mentioned. The shaft spins pulling the valve out....what actually moves?...the entire assembly or just the bottom flap....my descriptions may be hard to follow, but im trying my best. If anyone understood my description can you tell me if im reading too much into this...thanks again folks...im reading all responses, just not accustomed to navigating this forum yet...i used to be able to do engine work in my sleep...i just dont understand what im supposed to see happen
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

If you turn the gear that is sticking out of the right side of the cylinder (while sitting on bike) the two sub valves should spin into the open position, and the main valve should kind of fold up out of the exhaust port.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

thank u JFortner5....i finally got it together...i was complicating a simple system...im not familiar with kipps...what purpose does the small ball bearing and spring serve....things are always easier for me if i understand the principle
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The bearing and spring delay the opening of the valves a little. It also causes the valves to open more fully once the detent is overcome.

You can take the ball and spring out and ride it and see if you like it better without. Don't loose the two copper washers under the head of the bolt that holds the spring and ball, those set the pre load on the spring.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy