chain recommendations - 2001 KDX200

Got questions? We got answers....
wschmidtwa

chain recommendations - 2001 KDX200

Post by wschmidtwa »

I'm replacing the chain and sprockets on my 2001 KDX200.

I bought an X ring chain but unfortunately it's too wide, and scrapes a bit on the case as it passes around the counter sprocket.

I hate to give up on the x chain, but I'm worried it will do damage, in the long run.

I'm thinking of going with a roller chain since that's what came on the bike, and I'm guessing that they are narrower.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what chain I should buy?
doctord23
Supporting Member

Re: chain recommendations - 2001 KDX200

Post by doctord23 »

You should check the countershaft sprocket. Likely, it must be a 12 tooth.
The 220 came stock with a o-ring chain and a 13 tooth sprocket.
I have an x-ring on my hybrid and it does not rub.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

What chain did you buy? It is possible that you ended up with a "street" chain. Stick w/ O-ring or X-ring chains to save money/wear in the long run.
I prefer Regina/MSR O-ring chains, ORN6 IIRC. They last forever when mated with steel sprockets. Lately I have been buying the EK EXW XW Ring chain, it has fit fine (no weird rubbing). I've got 1 year (so far) on my first one and no wear signs as of yet. Of course I lube my chain pretty regularly to, even if I'm not supposed to. I started buying these for convenience over preference, since RMATV sells them and I get them with the rest of my "crap" that I order from them. I have found that the Regina/MSR chains go in and out of availability and can be hard to chase down at times (usually when I need one).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
wschmidtwa

Post by wschmidtwa »

doctord23 wrote:You should check the countershaft sprocket. Likely, it must be a 12 tooth.
The 220 came stock with a o-ring chain and a 13 tooth sprocket.
I have an x-ring on my hybrid and it does not rub.
Thanks Doctor. It's a 13 tooth sprocket. It seems to rub the most when the master link passes by.
wschmidtwa

Post by wschmidtwa »

6 Riders wrote:What chain did you buy? It is possible that you ended up with a "street" chain. Stick w/ O-ring or X-ring chains to save money/wear in the long run.
I prefer Regina/MSR O-ring chains, ORN6 IIRC. They last forever when mated with steel sprockets. Lately I have been buying the EK EXW XW Ring chain, it has fit fine (no weird rubbing). I've got 1 year (so far) on my first one and no wear signs as of yet. Of course I lube my chain pretty regularly to, even if I'm not supposed to. I started buying these for convenience over preference, since RMATV sells them and I get them with the rest of my "crap" that I order from them. I have found that the Regina/MSR chains go in and out of availability and can be hard to chase down at times (usually when I need one).
Thank you 6riders. I ordered mine as a set from RockyMountainATV (it's their Primary Drive brand). It was supposed to fit my bike.

One thought is that I have the countershaft sprocket on backwards. The two sides are different, one has 13 stamped on it and is completely flat, whereas the other side isn't flat and has no writing on it. I've got mine installed with the 13 side facing outward.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I've bought a set of the PD stuff. It's OK, but there chain won't EVER go onto my bike. Just saying, the quality is just not there (in the chain). I do use there front XT sprocket, mount mine with the writing facing out (away from the motor).
With the chain issue (rubbing), you might find that the master link is just to wide (design flaw?) or the whole chain is wider than a standard O-ring chain. If the latter is the case, they would do this to make the chain stronger, while using cheaper/inferior metal than a higher end chain would have. Try a different brand. I bought the EK because it was cheap, but not as "cheap" as the PD chains....so "middle ground", which I find is usually the best bang for your buck. On the other hand, my Regina chain is 3 years old, no signs of wear, sprockets are still good, just a quality built chain, but more $$.
Regina chain is [the] WORLD class leader in chain building, but you will pay for there stuff...which is high quality. But like I said, availability is in/out all the time. But again there main business isn't building motorcycle chains (that's a side business).
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Oh, and the 200 isn't stock with an O-ring chain, it is stock with a roller.....Just an FYI.
wschmidtwa

Post by wschmidtwa »

6 Riders wrote:I've bought a set of the PD stuff. It's OK, but there chain won't EVER go onto my bike. Just saying, the quality is just not there (in the chain). I do use there front XT sprocket, mount mine with the writing facing out (away from the motor).
With the chain issue (rubbing), you might find that the master link is just to wide (design flaw?) or the whole chain is wider than a standard O-ring chain. If the latter is the case, they would do this to make the chain stronger, while using cheaper/inferior metal than a higher end chain would have. Try a different brand. I bought the EK because it was cheap, but not as "cheap" as the PD chains....so "middle ground", which I find is usually the best bang for your buck. On the other hand, my Regina chain is 3 years old, no signs of wear, sprockets are still good, just a quality built chain, but more $$.
Regina chain is [the] WORLD class leader in chain building, but you will pay for there stuff...which is high quality. But like I said, availability is in/out all the time. But again there main business isn't building motorcycle chains (that's a side business).
Great advice 6riders. Thank you! By the way where in Washington are you located?

I'm in the south Puget Sound area.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

wschmidtwa wrote: Great advice 6riders. Thank you! By the way where in Washington are you located?

I'm not to far from you (saw your post before you edited it) over in the Puyallup area.
wschmidtwa

Post by wschmidtwa »

6 Riders wrote:
wschmidtwa wrote: Great advice 6riders. Thank you! By the way where in Washington are you located?

I'm not to far from you (saw your post before you edited it) over in the Puyallup area.
Thanks again 6riders. Glad to hear you're not too far. I really appreciate you're advice.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You should come out and ride the winter series at Straddleline this Saturday! Lot's of fun to be had there.
wschmidtwa

Post by wschmidtwa »

6 Riders wrote:You should come out and ride the winter series at Straddleline this Saturday! Lot's of fun to be had there.
Now that sounds like fun, and the weather should be pretty good. But I'm still a little ways from getting my bike ready to ride.

I hope you guys have a great time.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

What all needs to be done to it? (besides the chain)
wschmidtwa

Post by wschmidtwa »

6 Riders wrote:What all needs to be done to it? (besides the chain)
Not really that much, the main thing is the chain. I would like to change the coolant, and change the crank case oil.

I just haven't had much time to work on it.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Bring it over, I can have it done in an hour and a half! I even have a chain sitting here (that I can/will sell you). :supz:
wschmidtwa

Post by wschmidtwa »

6 Riders wrote:Bring it over, I can have it done in an hour and a half! I even have a chain sitting here (that I can/will sell you). :supz:
That sounds good. Would you be able to do it on Sunday?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yup, easy enough. Spend $5 on the site here and get PM privileges or E-mail me at evil_tim13 at yahoo dot com