Help with stator wires

Got questions? We got answers....
volkoff
Supporting Member

Help with stator wires

Post by volkoff »

Hello, I have an 02 220 motor in my almost done hybrid and was wondering why I have four wires coming out of my stator? Black,Yellow,White and White with Red stripe. My service manuual and every photo I find shows three. Black, Yellow and White with Red stripe. What the heck is the white wire for? Any insight will be appreciated.
thanks
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Help with stator wires

Post by Jaguar »

It may be that your lighting coil is not immediately grounded to the cases as is normal but has two ground-independent wires. Do your lights work?
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

+1 what Jaguar said. Sounds like someone floated the stator ground, which is a common mod for lighting kits/DC conversion. Easy way to check (easy if you have a flywheel puller) is to pop off the flywheel and take a look. Normally the Black and White/Red wires come off the ignition coil and just a yellow wire comes off the lighting coil. If you have two wires coming off your lighting coil it is for the afore mentioned mods (i.e.: Baja Designs light kit). If you are running just the stock lighting (or no lighting) you can remove the white wire and ground that side of the lighting coil to the case (just like in all the pics you have been looking at). Or you could just ground the white wire to any convenient spot on the frame instead of removing it. Both accomplish the same thing. Pics of the Hybrid? Mine is an '01 220 motor in an '01KX125 frame....LOVE IT!
volkoff
Supporting Member

Post by volkoff »

I have a build thread already going on the hybrid. check the hybrid section. The weird thing is about the white wire, it has the factory rubber boot at the connector. So if what you are saying is true I should have continuity across the yellow and white wire on the lighting circuit. At this point all I want to do is get the bike running. I do not need the headlight or taillight connected to the factory wiring. I I am running a temporary lighting system off of a battery for my initial inspection of the bike for my process of making it street legal. once I get my street legal title back I will be removing the turn signals and the horn and any extra crap I do not need and then simplify the wiring. I had the motor completely rebuilt and I am waiting for the 4 feet of snow to melt before I try starting the bike. I just want to make sure all the electrical components are functioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yes, across the yellow and white you should probably see somewhere in the range of 3-7 ohms. They are not needed to run the bike, strictly for lighting. If you are planning on going street legal I'd leave them as it is a mod you would need to do to add a regulator/rectifier/battery for street legal lighting (depending on what state you live in). For now just ground the white to the frame anywhere convenient and run the yellow to it's normal place in the harness.