Suspension for slow guy

Got questions? We got answers....
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Suspension for slow guy

Post by JFortner5 »

I posted this on another forum so I apologize if you've seen it. I figured I'd put it here as well since it's KDX specific.

I have a few questions hopefully you guys/gals can help with. I read a lot of posts talking about how a KDX needs better forks. From what I understand the rear spring is good for a 180lb rider, while the forks are only good for a 130lb rider.

I usually weigh between 195-200lbs. I am a recreational trail rider. I've ridden on and off (mostly off) for the last 10 years or so. I really want to try harder to erase my bad habits and become a better rider.

By better rider I don't really mean faster, I want to be better so I can ride safer and be more confident of certain obstacles in the woods.

For a casual guy like me, do suspension upgrades really make a difference? If upgrading the forks would give me more control or confidence I would think it would be worth it. I don't really see any issues with my bike the way it is, but I only have about an hour on the saddle. I'm not a big jumper, I'll hit little jumps but I don't ever plan on hitting a double.

If there are any good reads on this topic a link would be appreciated. I'm a car guy, and I don't really understand the physics of motorcycle handling and suspension.

One last thing, I have read about setting the sag, I have not done it yet. I guess that would be a good starting point to see if I can feel a difference.

Thanks
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Suspension for slow guy

Post by canamfan »

I think stiffer springs 42kg or 44kg would help you a lot. I weigh 190-200 depending on the season. I put 42kg racetech springs in mine with fresh oil 10 wt. I believe, and there is quite a difference. Hitting g-outs and small logs you will notice less diving, which means more control and less chance of the front end washing out. Setting the sag can really change the way your bike handles, less sag can make your bike feel really twitchy as can raising the forks in the triple clamps. To much sag can slow the steering down, kinda like a chopper, but can be usefull when riding rocks. So if I were you I would get stiffer fork springs keep the stock shock spring, rebuild the forks new seals and fluid. Then ride it. There is a lot of information on here just search for it.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Re: Suspension for slow guy

Post by JFortner5 »

I'll do that, I need to find a link to something explaining what the clickers do and how changes in suspension affect the bike. I love learning new things!
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Suspension for slow guy

Post by jjavaman »

Do the shim mod as well,makes a huge difference and it's free!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am on the other forum, so what is your total weight?

.44/.45 and 5.2 or .45/.46 and 5.3 sounds right to me.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I'm about 195 now without gear. With gear I don't know maybe 205.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would say .44 and 5.2.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Two best things you can do to improve your riding 1.) Run through the jetting guide and dial in your carb, 2.)Spring the bike for the right weight. The first makes the bike more responsive, the second makes it behave properly, together they make you more confident. And ride more, that's number 3, though maybe that should be #1 and the other 2 2 and 3 :blink:
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Man, I couldn't say for sure which is better, but between jetting and suspension mods, the kdx comes into it's own. Do these mods and you will be rewarded with a cadillac billygoat that drives up damn near anything, unlike anything else.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I am going to go through jetting the bike when it warms up a little. It's running great right now, but I'd like to do it anyway since I don't know what jets are in it.
Joey

2003 KDX 220R