Handle bars......

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Handle bars......

Post by 6 Riders »

So I think my son bent his, not a lot, but enough to annoy you at speed. So he needs a new set.
My son is about 5'10" and growing fast, a C level racers and plenty fast in the trails and desert.
Bars will be 7/8 bars since he's set up for those and I don't want to dump $250 in a completely new 1 1/8" set up.
What recommendations do you all have? Bar preferences or bars that I should steer clear of?

Thanks.
Tim
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXBADASS

Handle bars......

Post by KDXBADASS »

Go Fat Bars. They do not bend easily. For $35 bucks you can get the adapters from 7/8 bars to 1 1/4 bar. And you can get Pro Taper fat bars for about $65 dollars. I do not know where you got the $250 figure but I would not buy anything from them. :shock: I use Pro Taper for all of my bar needs. They do not bend easily as previously stated. Dont ask me how I know.........
Good luck on your venture.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Handle bars......

Post by 6 Riders »

Oh, 250 is just a guess, figure 70 for bars + 40 for new clamps + 50 for bark buster clamps, so really "only" $160, unless I buy a whole new set of bark busters, then I'm at $210 :doh:
He's buying since he bent them and he doesn't have the funds for the whole fat bar set up.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXBADASS

Post by KDXBADASS »

Hey its just money? LOL I forgot about handguards. My bad
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I have a set of basic renthal aluminum bars he can have . 7/8 and not bent. we're about the same height and they Work ok. Pretty much factory replacement bars.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

newbbewb wrote:I have a set of basic renthal aluminum bars he can have . 7/8 and not bent. we're about the same height and they Work ok. Pretty much factory replacement bars.
Thanks, but I think I want him to purchase them. He needs to learn that parts are not free, even if his dad (that's me) makes it seem that way sometimes. :shh:

I was more looking at brand and bend advice. I was thinking a higher bend like Henry/Reed, YZ High or Factory Suzuki. All those bars have minimal sweep and are around an inch +/- taller than the stock bars.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

The stock bars are KX high bend, most others are lower. I just got a set of 7/8 protapers for $70, they should be much tougher than the carbon steel units. Mike bike fell over in the garage and bent the carbon steel ones.

The 7/8 handguards fit but you may need a smaller end plug.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

My go-to bar is the Tusk 7/8 bar from RMATVMC. I have used this bar on my KX500 as well as my KDX220. I love this bar. It's tough, but not indestructible. If you're climbing and you+all of your bike come down on it, on the down hill side, you'll bend it. But they are only $30. You get way more bang for your buck in my opinion for this bar than others. It has a wider stance on it than other bars. I'm 5'10" and it seems to fit me well. If you're boy is still growing, he may like the wider stance. If not, you can trim them down to whatever he feels comfortable with. I think I have the KX high bend. I love my bar set up. It's going to be a long time before I go to a different bar.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/30 ... -Handlebar
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I'm measuring the stock bars closer to KX LOW, not high. The KX HIGH bend are 4.25" tall, KDX bars are no where near that height....I measure (aprox) 2.8" tall.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Personally, If you switch the handle bars out on my bike, as long as they aren't bent, 20 minutes into the ride, I won't be able to tell the difference. I guess it all comes down to rider preference. Does he do more riding standing or sitting? If standing, the taller bend may be better. If sitting low bend may be better. Technically, if the bars are tall enough, you'll loose leverage to pull the front wheel up. Is the difference between the low bend and high bend going to affect your leverage enough to notice? I doubt it. On a bicycle, yes. But not on a KDX. Just my humble opinion.
chippy

Post by chippy »

Renthal aluminum 7/8" CR high bend. They work best for me. (on several different bikes) He won't bend them either! ;^)
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I keep hearing about CR high, so I think they'll be my next set. I have RC highs with 1" risers (tallest bars as far as I know). Good, but while sitting I actually get numb hands from the vibrations and lack of blood flow (due to them being so high). I'm 6'5" though, so they still feel like they're down by my knees when standing... Very little sweep, which makes them really stable at high speed, but I find them a bit wide for the tight stuff.