Need some (eBay) radiator wisdom

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

After seeing SS109's experience with some eBay Chinese radiators, I figured I would try them since mine were pretty beat. I bought a set for my 04 KDX220. This winter I finally got around to installing them. Fitting them up was work, but not a big deal.

BUT ... now that the system is filled and I have run the bike, I have learned that the plugs in the LH rad (one on top and one on the bottom) use crappy o-rings to seal against system pressure.

The top plug is a plastic wing nut. It's not really round (hard to explain) and squishes the o-ring out when tight. I replaced that o-ring with new and cranked it down. It still squishes but with the better o-ring it stopped leaking, at least after running a for few minutes in my 28F garage.

The bottom plug is metal and was leaking because it was finger tight. When I tighten it down, the o-ring squishes out of it too and it still leaks. It still has the original o-ring because I didn't realize it used an o-ring too till tonight.

Of course, nothing is a standard size so I can't just go replace the plugs, and the OEM plugs won't fit.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't really trust that the top plug is fixed. I could try a new o-ring or a flat seal for the bottom plug and see if that works.

Looking to soak up some wisdom/new ideas from the collective here ... trying to decide if I trust these o-rings if I get them to stop leaking, or do I just cut bait and recondition my LH rad and use it?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any opinions/thoughts/help.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

After a little more checking it turns out the bottom plugs do swap. Hopefully that problem will be solved using the Kawi aluminum crush washer and plug.

There's white ish residue in the old rad that looks like sealant. Is sealant used or is that just built up residue? Thanks.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Re: Need some (eBay) radiator wisdom

Post by ICRage42 »

I would say the white ish residue is using a non distilled water in it. Cheap antifreeze sometimes does this as well. If using water it has to be distilled otherwise minerals react to the metal and cause corrosion or white ish type residue. Brownish white goo if iron is present looks like caramel. Worked on a car that overheated and owner said the antifreeze is green. Checked it out it was green however not like anitifreeze green. Here I noticed a newer lower hose. Sure enough his kid had the hose blow on him when borrowing car and filled it with pond water. So Im guessing the green was algae and those small black chunks were tadpoles lol. Filled it up with reg 50/50 and flushed and replaced with 50/50 again and it never overheated after that.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I bought a set of eBay aluminum rads. They are totally useable, but be prepared to work am a bit. If I did it again, I'd buy used original. I ended up welding a bung in my eBay rads as mine were weeping as well. I highly recommend pressure testing those eBay units to 25psi.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
r_sixxer

Post by r_sixxer »

I bought a set of ebay radiators and silicon hose set. Not a drop or a weep from any of the connections or seals. The o-ring seals on the top and bottom of the radiator fit without an issue but the bolts were only finger tight. Had to tighten them up before installing the radiators on the bike. Holes matched up pretty good (not perfect) with the bike/plastics.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

How important is the port on the top tank? That one is non standard and might be harder to fix.

thinking about having a friend of mine, who is a really good aluminum welder, just weld a plate over the port. I've never used that port on the stock radiators and I have changed coolant several times. Does it really serve any purpose?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

kinda nice having that hole to bleed the air out of the left side rad.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

I appreciate all the responses.

New development. I must be losing my mind. There is no other explanation. I would have sworn I tried both Kawasaki plugs in the new radiator and neither one fit. But after trying them again they both fit.

Other than the losing my mind part, this is good news. Now that I have the factory plugs with good seals in the radiator I am expecting good things to happen when I fill the system again. We'll see.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R