Headlight won't stay on!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
Thecomp2009

Post by Thecomp2009 »

Hi guys. I bought an aftermarket LED light for my 99 KDX220r. I connected the wires correctly and the light does work, but only when I hold the light button on the right of the handlebars. Am I missing something? I'm supposed to just be able to use that button to turn the lights on and then off right? I wouldn't think I'd have to hold it. I've never had a light on this bike so if I sound like a noob, my apologies.
1999 KDX220r
morganid
Supporting Member

Re: Headlight won't stay on!!!

Post by morganid »

About two weeks after I got my KDX, my light switch broke. It would only keep the lights on when I held it down. Check your tail light and see if the same thing is happening as your headlight. If your switch is factory, it has male and a female connector that allows easy removal. If you take the wires that you just removed your switch from and connect them, your lights will stay on all the time until you can get another switch. Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has a great universal switch.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/95 ... f%20switch
Thecomp2009

Post by Thecomp2009 »

Hmm, I guess I'll try to troubleshoot the switch. Maybe I can figure out what broke inside, like a spring or clip that prevents it from staying on. I don't have a tail light on my bike. Never had any lights. Just got the headlight for trail riding later in the days. I'll check the connector as well. Thank you
1999 KDX220r
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Like he said up there, first just disconect the two bullet conectors near the left side of the head tube behind the headlight, and connect the ones coming from under the tank together. This will bypass the switch and keep them on all the time until you can figure something out.

I had an issue with my lights going on and off, and it turned out to be something to do with the switch. I've had it bypassed since.
Thecomp2009

Post by Thecomp2009 »

Ok I will do what you guys had said. Thank you very much guys!
1999 KDX220r
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

No problem.
Good luck.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »