Clutch Issue help

Got questions? We got answers....
prs-rell
Supporting Member

Clutch Issue help

Post by prs-rell »

So I bought a 1996 kdx200 this past summer with a clutch that was on it way out and just loved to slip. So I installed a new one with new springs and installation went really smooth. Now the issue I have is that even with engine warmed up really good when I try to put it in gear without giving any throttle it often just stalls out, and when it doesn't stall it bogs down the engine a little and seems to stutter or rattle the bike a bit . Giving it a bit of throttle will get me going and once up to speed it's a non-issue. Would this be a case of grooves in the fingers of the basket? It had some grooves but they don't look all that bad in comparison to some I've seen on other guys bike. Or do I just need to try out a different oil than cheapo walmart 10-40 conventional?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Clutch Issue help

Post by Julien D »

Did you soak the plates before installing them? Sounds like they are grabbing a little. That's either improper/inadequate lubrication for the plates, or notched basket not allowing them to separate properly. Before doing anything I'd try some ATF rather than the cheap motor oil. Not a bad idea to soak the plates in it overnight before putting it back together and filling it up.
prs-rell
Supporting Member

Post by prs-rell »

I soaked the plates for 24 hours before installing them. I'll give atf a try, if that doesn't work I'll pull out the basket and file the grooves a little.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

ATF will probably help, but it will take a bit to work all the old 10w-40 out of the friction plates. If not, it sounds like you already k ow what to do next. Good luck!
ArkAngel

Clutch Issue help

Post by ArkAngel »

I had a similar problem with my bike the first time i changed clutch plates a few years ago. The guys at the bike shop gave me the wrong oil. After asking the guys on the site i changed to 10w40 ATF oil and off i went. That solved my problem. Hope it helps
KDX 200
KDX 250
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Clutch Issue help

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

ArkAngel wrote:10w40 ATF oil
:hmm: