FMF Desert pipe. Gold or nickel?

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I'm getting a Fmf desert pipe for my KDX 200, so looking on ebay, I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-KDX200 ... 7c&vxp=mtr

In the second picture, you can see that it says "Gold Series."

Then I found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FMF-Gnarly-Pipe ... 54&vxp=mtr

It also says it's a Fmf gnarly desert pipe.

My question is, what is the difference? Is one better than the other as far as performance? Is the fitment the same?
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

They are both 020056 fmf part # so I don't believe there is a difference. I always thought there was just a dessert pipe and a torque pipe. I have had both the fmf pipes, liked the dessert the best, on my 200 and my 220. Then got a PC platinum pipe for the 220 and like it better.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

canamfan wrote:They are both 020056 fmf part # so I don't believe there is a difference. I always thought there was just a dessert pipe and a torque pipe. I have had both the fmf pipes, liked the dessert the best, on my 200 and my 220. Then got a PC platinum pipe for the 220 and like it better.
Well, I feel dumb. :P What made you like the PC pipe better? I'm looking for more mid to high end power and hit. I ride long wide trails, so that's why I was going with the Desert pipe.

Also, did you have any fitment issues with the Desert pipe?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: FMF Desert pipe. Gold or nickel?

Post by 6 Riders »

The Gnarley add is the nickel plated pipe, better option, just because of the finish...both pipes perform the same.

Oh, and I just bought the cheaper one :whistle: :blink:

J/K :lol:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

6 Riders wrote:The Gnarley add is the nickel plated pipe, better option, just because of the finish...both pipes perform the same.

Oh, and I just bought the cheaper one :whistle: :blink:

J/K :lol:
Haha, it says more than 10 available. :P That's a good price though, I think.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

It is a good price, but the finish on that particular pipe tends to flake and rust. That's why the nickel pipe is a better choice. Buy it from RMATV for the same price and get points and fast as a RB220 to your door!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I had the desert pipe on a 200 and the pc pipe on the 220 The pc pipe has a great hit midrange to top but still has plenty of torque on the 220. On my 200 I started with the torque pipe and then put on the desert pipe same results, much more mid to topend with the desert. I think you would like either one. If you like the hit of a 2 stroke coming on the pipe get the desert or pc pipe. If you want linear power get the torque pipe.
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

I keep reading that the PC Platinum II is supposed to be for low to mid. I have the PC now, trying to decide if I'd rather have an FMF Woods pipe on my 220. I really have no need for top end power, and want all the bottom I can get.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I have an fmf woods pipe Pretty good shape, would like to have another pc pipe for my hybrid project, I'm gathering parts for. Wanna trade? I'll have to take some pictures .
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

Fitment is good on either pipe, the desert pipe is fatter and I rub my knee against it when cornering, gets pretty hot.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

One of my pipes says Fatty the other one says Fat Boy and my sons says Gnarley they all say gold series. I know the fat boy is a rev/desert it is stamped with K30.
The fatty is stamped with K35 which makes it a torque pipe. My sons Gnarley is stamped with 105-020057 and they call that the woods pipe.
http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/BikeA ... AKI_KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Fat Boy is a much older model name, may have been changed to Fatty. Someone said Harley sued them. I am not sure.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128