Front sprocket wear problem

Got questions? We got answers....
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

I recently installed new sprockets and chain. My front sprocket already has a considerable amount of play. Is this because I bought a cheap sprocket or could there be another issue causing the problem.
If you had a choice to date supermodels for the rest of your life or ride dirt bikes, would you choose a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
Bitteeinit

Re: Front sprocket wear problem

Post by Bitteeinit »

What sprocket did you get (brand)?
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

I checked the listing and no brand name was given so its probably a cheap piece of crap. here is the listing.
If you had a choice to date supermodels for the rest of your life or ride dirt bikes, would you choose a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Yeah I'm guessing it's cheap Chinese metal. I've used sets like this before and they do wear faster. Invest a bit extra next time. Use this one until both sprockets are worn (you'll likely have to adjust the chain a few times... Those chains are usually crappy). Next time, get some JT sprockets. Not much more money, but a higher grade steel (probably more carbon, I don't know) and made in Thailand. Better overall. The chain is where it admittedly gets a bit pricey...
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

Cool thanks man.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

check the groves on the main shaft they do were out in time.
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

They are a little worn but not horrible
Dodgem

Post by Dodgem »

Hi. I have a problem with the drive-shaft on my 2006 KDX200 wearing out. The sprocket wears the splines down. I am replacing the shaft for a second time. My previous KDX, a 1997 model, didn't have this issue. Am I not setting the chain correctly, or has the quality of drive-shafts declined? I'll be grateful for advice. Thanks.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

As far as front sprockets go, a good quality one will be hardened and this is easily checked with a file. If you can file material off the tooth surface, it's soft and won't last very long.

I am disappointed that Kawa uses just a snap ring to hold the front sprocket in place instead of a locknut and tab washer that I'm used to. If excess clearance develops, I'll try some Loctite on the splines to see if that helps, but I don't expect that will be needed for some time yet.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Dodgem wrote:Hi. I have a problem with the drive-shaft on my 2006 KDX200 wearing out. The sprocket wears the splines down. I am replacing the shaft for a second time. My previous KDX, a 1997 model, didn't have this issue. Am I not setting the chain correctly, or has the quality of drive-shafts declined? I'll be grateful for advice. Thanks.
How tight is your chain? What brand sprocket are you using?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Dodgem

Post by Dodgem »

Thanks Jason. I am using PBR sprockets made in Italy. I may have occasionally been running a chain a little tight and sometimes a little loose, but I think that was the case with the 1997 model too. In five years of use, I didn't have this issue with it. The sprockets don't wear at the shaft, but the drive-shaft does.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That is kinda new to me. I don't really remember hearing anyone have an issue like that without chain slack being off.
Dodgem

Post by Dodgem »

Thanks. I will check for the correct chain slack on this site and keep it there.. Kind regards from South Africa.
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

Funny story I think I had my front sprocket on wrong. I put it back on but the opposite side out and its snug.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Haha... Can happen to all of us. Let us know if it helps.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report.