Repacked my FMF Powercore2

Got questions? We got answers....
SETXshooter
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by SETXshooter »

Noticing a little bit of spooge on the swing arm I decide to open up the silencer. The fiberglass in it was saturated with oil, so much so that that as I was removing it I was getting my hands covered in oil. The previous owner ran a 32:1 mix and I switched to 40:1 to reduce smoke. The mat was soaked 8-10 " into the tube and spotty all the way up.

I searched out a few alternative ways to repack and even though I have some R13 laying around I decided to go the SS and Copper srubber method. I went WalMart and picked up enough packs of each to do a couple repacks. I started with a copper pad, then two SS, copper, two SS, and one final copper. Red RVT'd the FMF to the Gnarly Woods pipe and am now letting the sealant dry.

The low sections of the pipes were not heavily saturated. A simple wipeout of the tubes proved sufficient. I hope it sounds quieter upon startup tomorrow. I was pleasantly surprised that the build up was as little as it was. I pulle the KIPS cover the other day and checked it function, it snapped open and closed quickly on let off. YAY!
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Interesting. I replaced my silencer, but I've been wanting to check and clean the pipe. I also need to seal the pipe/silencer coupling.
I keep putting it off because I want to pick up new o-rings and gasket for the pipe.
BlackMist

Re: Repacked my FMF Powercore2

Post by BlackMist »

So?? how'd it turn out?
SETXshooter
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by SETXshooter »

Crappy weather and late work days. I haven't cranked her up since repack. Hope too soon...
SETXshooter
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by SETXshooter »

I cranked it, but didn't take her out. definitely a different tone, deeper. maybe get a run this weekend.
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Keep us in the loop! I have a few to pack before spring :doh: if I can get extra life from a pack I'll definetely follow suit
SETXshooter
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by SETXshooter »

I really need to gain some experience in the mud with this thing. Found a trail across the highway from the house, lots of mud puddles. Back end sliding making me suck in on the seat.

The silencer sounds quieter than with the oil soaked fiber mat. I imagine that if I had added a few more scrubby pads it would be quieter. I may open her back up and do that. It was quieter, can't really speak to performance as I am new to this bike and still learning.