1995 kdx20 piston,rings, top end info ect.......

Got questions? We got answers....
lucero.95.kdx200

1995 kdx20 piston,rings, top end info ect.......

Post by lucero.95.kdx200 »

I have a few questions on different topics. First off if anyone could give some advice on how hard is it to do top end work as in change piston an rings ect.... Is it something that i should hire someone to do or what??

The next question is when the bike is running ( idle in nutual) it sounds great but as soon as i pull the clutch in and put it in 1st. Gear it tends to idle very low and awkward like its about to die. (Doesn't sound right) I know this cant be normal because it shouldn't get that low of a idle that it dies. With that being said i've even tried to mess with the idle screw and any higher i set the screw will be to high an idle ridiculously too much..????? What could this be???

I've also noticed my bike has a weird ticking noise hard to tell but it sounds like its coming from top end MAYBE not excatly sure tho.. its not extremely loud BUT it is very noticeable, so im guessing this may be my piston or rings needs changing????

1995 kdx200.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 1995 kdx20 piston,rings, top end info ect.......

Post by canamfan »

First off, top end job depends on your mechanical ability and if you have a service manual. If you don't have a manual get one before you attempt anything. Maybe some one would do the job and let you observe. The idle slowing down with the bike in gear is somewhat normal because of clutch drag. If it doesn't get better after the bike is warm you may need to do something. Might be simple like changing the trans oil, I use type f trans fluid, or adjusting the clutch freeplay, or more involved might be the clutch basket fingers are notched from wear and hanging up. The ticking noise you hear is very possibly the kips valve, they do make a distinct sound that is noticeable idling. First thing I would do is a compression check, compression gages can be bought very reasonably at most auto parts stores or online. If you have good compression no need to do a topend unless it's a 220 and then you would want to replace the piston because they had trouble with the factory ones cracking and coming apart destroying your topend.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1995 kdx20 piston,rings, top end info ect.......

Post by KDXGarage »

That about sums it up, but parts wear over time and can be on the point of breakage, even though they have good compression. (shattered piston and such)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128