WHOA What a hit

Got questions? We got answers....
ridinredneck

WHOA What a hit

Post by ridinredneck »

i finally got the 98 kdx200 revving out. in another thread i found it was a plugged silencer. i went back through the jetting and got it running great. but this thing hits hard, i mean HARD. it reminds me of my old cr250. the power valve is working, it has an fmf gnarly with stock silencer. the kdx i had before this one was a lot smoother. this one is very abrupt and it has got me in a lil trouble a couple of times. i wonder why it hits like that? any suggestions?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: WHOA What a hit

Post by 6 Riders »

Nice! :boogie:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Be thankful?? :partyman: :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

WHOA What a hit

Post by Tedh98 »

ridinredneck wrote: i wonder why it hits like that? any suggestions?
Different needles between the two bikes?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

There are a few things you can do to smooth it out.

Sometimes a hard hit seems hard because the midrange is kind of soft.

I'd tinker with the jetting a bit more, maybe drop that ball detent out of the LH KIPS cover, go smaller on the rear sprocket, check that nobody played with stator timing
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
ridinredneck

WHOA What a hit

Post by ridinredneck »

yes the needles are different. the other bike had a CGQ and this one has a CEL. i tried it with and without the detent ball and spring. really couldn't tell much difference.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

WHOA What a hit

Post by canamfan »

Maybe this bike has the rev pipe and your old one had the torque pipe. The torque pipe is quite a bit smoother.
Shadowdev
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

WHOA What a hit

Post by Shadowdev »

Just a thought...
If possible, go to stock needle & jetting, and as mentioned, check the sprocket sizes...
Now that the silencer is clear the bike is breathing much better and so a hard hit is more likely coming from the mixture...
My 220 is oversize on the jetting & sprocket (Gnarly pipe) and hits really hard too...hard to keep the front wheel down...

Cheers,
SD
ridinredneck

WHOA What a hit

Post by ridinredneck »

i have ridden 2-strokes for years. RM's, YZ's, CR's and KDX. this bike hits with the best of them lol. it will literally come up in 3rd gear without trying. its fun but i want to make it more of a tractor. so i guess i will be making little changes from time to time until i get it the way i want it. i have the current gearing at 13/50 and i will check to see which pipe it is tomorrow and go from there. thanks to all for the info.
ridinredneck

WHOA What a hit

Post by ridinredneck »

i had to know so i went out and checked. it measures just over 14 inches around so it is the rev pipe. big difference than the torque pipe i had on the other one lol. as far as smoothing the hit for hill climbs and keeping the front end down, would i gain anything by putting the stock pipe back on it?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Probably. It really should take most the hit away. Do you have one to try?
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ridinredneck

WHOA What a hit

Post by ridinredneck »

yes i have the stocker that came off of it. real good shape but decided to put on the gnarly that came with it before i rode it. i think i will try to stock one and compare the two. should get to it tomorrow and i will report back what i find out.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

WHOA What a hit

Post by 6 Riders »

ridinredneck wrote:yes i have the stocker that came off of it. real good shape but decided to put on the gnarly that came with it before i rode it. i think i will try to stock one and compare the two. should get to it tomorrow and i will report back what i find out.
Sweet, let me know. My son has a 220 with the stock pipe and I really want to put my rev pipe on it, but he isn't interested unless I can tell him what the difference will be.
ridinredneck

WHOA What a hit

Post by ridinredneck »

6 Riders wrote:
ridinredneck wrote:yes i have the stocker that came off of it. real good shape but decided to put on the gnarly that came with it before i rode it. i think i will try to stock one and compare the two. should get to it tomorrow and i will report back what i find out.
Sweet, let me know. My son has a 220 with the stock pipe and I really want to put my rev pipe on it, but he isn't interested unless I can tell him what the difference will be.
i should know tomorrow and will let ya know
ridinredneck

WHOA What a hit

Post by ridinredneck »

6 Riders wrote:
i changed back to the stocker today and test rode it. BIG difference. most of the big hit is gone and is a lot smoother all the way through. i know i will have to re-jet again to get it optimal with the stock exhaust but i can tell a major difference already. the rev pipe made it hit like an MX 2stroke. i didnt like it on the trails at all. sometimes it was hard to control on hills and coming out of corners. either the front end was lifting or it was breaking loose and going sideways. i know all about clutch control and riding a gear high and all that. i just prefer a smoother power delivery myself. i might invest in a gnarly woods/torque pipe in the future but for now i am liking the stock setup. if i was a little younger and not so beat up i might have left the rev pipe on. it was fun, just not what i'm looking for out of my kdx. hope this helps you decide.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

It does. I think (for now) I'll leave the stock pipe....Do you want to sell that rev pipe?
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

yea i'd probably sell it. its not perfect but not too bad. i will get a pic of it and try to pm it to you. i'd let it go pretty cheap.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Sounds good!
ridinredneck

Post by ridinredneck »

6 Riders wrote:Sounds good!
says i'm not authorized to send private messages. got an email i can send the to?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »