Turning brass insert in fuel tank

Got questions? We got answers....
RustyHama

Post by RustyHama »

When I went to do my compression test I was going to remove the fuel tank for easy access. The Bozo PO has a thread crossing problem and it appears one of the fuel tank mounts to the frame is locked in tight and now the brass insert turns in the plastic tank! Of course I discovered this when using my cordless drill to remove the bolts so it spun round several times before I noticed something wasn't right. I've got the WD40 on to it and don't need to remove the tank right away but one day I will...

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas on removing this bolt?

Thanks
Hama
vlxk98

Re: Turning brass insert in fuel tank

Post by vlxk98 »

I had the same issue on my 95/200. I was able to squeeze a thin flat blade screwdriver between the rubber grommet and the brass insert and hold pressure on the insert which allowed the bolt to come out. I think the PO thought those bolts needed to be torqued to about 30 ft pounds!

The insert in my tank didn't spin while tightening, hopefully yours won't either! That's another problem all together.

I used a never seize going back together and not so much torque to keep from having another problem.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

If the problem isn't curable using the screw driver method, try this:
Take all the other bolts out. With your drill on the highest speed setting, spin the bolt (and brass insert) as fast as you can. You are warming the plastic around the insert. Once you run this for a little bit, start pulling the whole insert out. To fix the lack of insert, fix the one you have, or find a new one and glue it back in with a Poly safe epoxy....This means NO super glue.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

6 Riders wrote:If the problem isn't curable using the screw driver method, try this:
Take all the other bolts out. With your drill on the highest speed setting, spin the bolt (and brass insert) as fast as you can. You are warming the plastic around the insert. Once you run this for a little bit, start pulling the whole insert out. To fix the lack of insert, fix the one you have, or find a new one and glue it back in with a Poly safe epoxy....This means NO super glue.
Did that on mine, works great.
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

Example of what to expect can be seen on my member bike profile thread on my kdx250
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
RustyHama

Post by RustyHama »

Great stuff! Thanks fellas I'll try those when the time comes.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

This is what I have done in the past and the repair has held up with no problems.

I thread a long bolt into the brass insert. Then lock a pair of vice grips onto the bolt head. Get the propane torch out and heat up the brass insert. I then insert the heated brass insert back into the tank. As long as you have it hot enough it will melt the plastic and go back in.

The hardest part is holding it still long enough for the plastic to cool down. Then I get a clean soldering tip on the soldering iron and clean up the area by melting any plastic that has been displaced back into and around the insert. There have been times that I have "borrowed" some plastic from other parts to fill in any voids.