Trans Oil

Got questions? We got answers....
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Trans Oil

Post by marco220 »

I've been doing some reading on using Type F trans fluid and wondering if I can just make the switch from regular oil. I've just been running straight 30wt but sounds like trans fluid keeps everything clean and good shifting.

If I make the switch to ATF would I need to "flush" the oil out? Drain/fill, repeat?

I've also seen others running 0w40 synthetic with good results. I didn't think that was recommended but sounds like it works fine as well.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Trans Oil

Post by Sullyfam »

I've been thinking of doing the same. I'll be interested in responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Trans Oil

Post by kx200 »

Just drain the old and put in the new and call it good. ATF-f works good and its cheap.
Adamnb1

Trans Oil

Post by Adamnb1 »

Yeah, I don't think you have to worry too much about there being residual motor oil mixed with your ATF. I've recklessly switched back and forth more times than I can remember. I ultimately settled on rotella T 15w40 .. in my experience, my 98 220 shifts better using that vs the ATF.
rabbitrex44

Trans Oil

Post by rabbitrex44 »

Rotella is also the only automotive type oil that I know of that carries a Jaso spec. It is actually approved for wet clutches.
Both the 15-40 and the 5w40 synthetic are good choices
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Trans Oil

Post by Gotanubike »

When draining the old oil, tip the bike to the left and hold it a couple minutes. Most of the leftover oil gets trapped in the clutch side and there's only a small passage going to the transmission
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Won't be a problem, I swapped to ATF when I got my 220, it had engine oil in it, put ATF in and have not looked back . It's cheap enough to change it every 2 or 3 rides, I don't ever worry about my drive train.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Trans Oil

Post by spl383 »

Adamnb1 wrote:Yeah, I don't think you have to worry too much about there being residual motor oil mixed with your ATF. I've recklessly switched back and forth more times than I can remember. I ultimately settled on rotella T 15w40 .. in my experience, my 98 220 shifts better using that vs the ATF.
Same here, my 220 seems to shift better with rotella.
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

That's good news.
I've been running Rotella in my other bikes for a while.
I like not having to buy and keep a bunch of different stuff.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The only thing I do when switching between oil and T fluid is change after the first ride.
Some like oil, some T fluid, some gear oil. It's your bike and your choice. I notice that my 95 doesn't shift well with Gear oil, but my 93 does. My 93 shifts really smooth w/T fluid, the 95 shifts well with it also, my sons 01...haven't had it long enough to know what is better, but IIRC it shifted hard with the motor oil in it.
Using this info, I run t-fluid because it works well on all my bikes. When I use regular motor oil it's Delo or Rotella 15/40.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Knapman

Trans Oil

Post by Knapman »

After reading this thread I have no idea what to run in my transmission as far fluids...

I just picked my bike up and would like to stay on top of maintenance as much as possible! I'm assuming I can basically use anything in the tranny, and most people are just running whatever brand of ATF they prefer?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

If you run transfluid, run type F. Gear oil would be 70wt. Otherwise use the recommended oil.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Is there a specific reason why it needs to be "Type F"? I'm having a lot of trouble finding Type-F, whereas "normal" ATF is everywhere. I'd like to test it out vs normal oil.
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Type f has no friction modifiers which you don't want for wet clutches.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Go to WalMart, they have there house brand and it's cheap.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Trans Oil

Post by pumpguy »

Don't really know about Walmart stores, but I think he might have a problem finding one in Cambodia.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

On tapatalk I can't really see where people are from. Another option is one of the GM transmission fluids, it's been a while since I've used it, so I can't say for sure which one it is. I think it's something type four
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Thanks. I'll keep looking, was just wondering if it was really necessary or not. I'll try different oil brands too.
Jim B

Trans Oil

Post by Jim B »

Adamnb1 wrote:I ultimately settled on rotella T 15w40 .. in my experience, my 98 220 shifts better using that vs the ATF.
I found the same thing. Type F ATF worked pretty well, but my '97 220 shifts better when using the non-synthetic Rotella T.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Ok, so what weight oil do you guys use? Adam mentions 15w40. Most of the stuff here is 20w40 or 15w50. I've been putting SPF 50 I think. Maybe the viscosity is wrong?

I've scoured around and ATF-F is IMPOSSIBLE to find. There are no old Fords here... I'm at my wits end as I've replaced the spring and the problem persists. Maybe I should try putting in some 15-40? Could that be what's making it not engage? What's weird is that for around the first 6-8 months of ownership, it was never an issue...