Trans Oil

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Trans Oil

Post by 6 Riders »

I have used diesel oil in my bikes and it woks well enough. Better than 10-30/40 oils do anyways. Delo 400 or Shell rotella, I think it's 5/50....let me go look.....
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

15/40 is the weight
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Alright! I literally ust bought some cheapo 15W-40 oil... Most oil here is 20w-50 (I assume because of the heat). I also just stumbled upon this:
http://www.craig.copperleife.com/bikes/kdx/
Odd KDX notes

Kickstarter fails to engage
If your KDX kickstarter is difficult to use, slipping past the ratchet mechanism and slamming into the footpeg instead of spinning the motor over, it's because your oil is too thick. KDX kickstarters are sensitive to gearbox oil weight for some reason, and you will notice that the problem is worst when the oil is cold and thickest. I have found that 20W-50 causes this problem on my bike.
You can either put up with it, gingerly finding engagement before swinging, or switch to a lighter viscosity oil. Automatic Tranmission Fluid of the Ford (or "F") type is also ideal for two-stroke gearboxes as it's designed to cope with severe forces generated by gear sets and wet clutches. It works well for me. See this thread.
Whatever you do, don't choose an automotive oil that contains friction modifiers. These will cause the clutch to slip and burn out. Many premium car oils contain friction modifiers these days. Be careful.
Seems to be exactly the problem I had/have. Hopefully this helps a bit and after two-three changes the problem disappears. Maybe I wore out some components while I was running 20-50. The "mechanics" I used eventually cut up my gears ever so slightly (without my consent, I think they were tired of the bike taking up space) when the spring replacement didn't make a difference. Anyways, I'll keep my eyes out for 10w-40, but for now, 15w-40 is better than 20w-50... I guess the cold weight is what's important (15w vs 20w) as if I understand it correctly, when the bike is cold, the higher the number=the thicker the oil. So the bike won't turn as the oil is all sitting heavily at the bottom... At least that's what I get from it.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

I'm going to agree that you probably could run about anything in these trannies and have zero problems except the
most current " energy conserving " car motor oils.

I wasn't going to muddy the waters with what we run but what ta heck , I'm not telling you to.

Total Moto GP 10w60 ,,, it has a better cold pour point than Mobil 1 10w30.

Plus I work for the distributor :) :)
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟