Reed block to intake manifold gasket?

Got questions? We got answers....
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

Can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a gasket between the reed block and the intake manifold? There wasn't one there when I took it off and just wondering if there is supposed to be one. It looks like there is an o-ring of sorts manufactured into the manifold. If no gasket is required (presumably due to the material the manifold is made of) is some kind of sealant recommended? Thanks!
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Reed block to intake manifold gasket?

Post by IDRIDR »

Yes, there is for my '03. From part's fiche:

11009A GASKET,REED VALVE
11009-1941

Last edited by IDRIDR on 05:46 pm Jan 17 2015, edited 2 times in total.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

There's a gasket in there somewhere. Should be: engine cylinder intake > reed valve GASKET > reed valve assembly > carb holder (rubber boot). Got this info from bike bandit parts diagram for a 1993 kdx200.
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

I guess my terminology is incorrect. I meant between the 'reed valve assembly' and 'carb holder' (rubber boot).

Just found an online manual (Cyclepedia) and it doesn't look like there is a gasket there. Still curious about sealant.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

no sealant, please
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Your correct. No gasket and agree above No sealant. Just make sure both parts are super clean.
hitmanhite

Post by hitmanhite »

Love this page, been pulling my hair out trying to find a gasket for the mentioned part above on my 91. Couldn't find it on the illustrated parts breakdown. Thanks KDXRIDER!!!
CR-250 complete build with every known goodie, Kid outgrew CR-85E, decided to try a green one for the first time, went with the KDX in hopes it would be the last bike that I buy him. Trying to put it back together from some kid who "knew what he was doing"...haha......hahaha........hahahaha.
freeindeed

Post by freeindeed »

DirtDaddy wrote:Can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a gasket between the reed block and the intake manifold? There wasn't one there when I took it off and just wondering if there is supposed to be one. It looks like there is an o-ring of sorts manufactured into the manifold. If no gasket is required (presumably due to the material the manifold is made of) is some kind of sealant recommended? Thanks!
I realize this answer comes 3 1/2 years too late.

I am reassembling my 2001 KDX220 and found my reed valve assembly had TWO gaskets.
One between the cylinder & reed block assembly and one between the reed block assembly and the intake manifold.
It was apparently assembled this way at the factory.
(I looked this tread up because my top end gasket kit only contained one reed block gasket, not two.)

So, like the air box assembly, there are apparently variations in how the factory assembled the reed assembly also.

The Kawasaki parts diagram for the 2001 KDX220 does NOT show the second gasket between the reed assembly and intake manifold.
However if you wanted to add a gasket there, you can just buy the same one used between the cylinder and the reed assembly.

To add intrigue to the mystery, the intake manifold has a .040" tall built in rubber "o-ring" ridge just outside the intake tract diameter.
(This ridge is there to make an air seal between the intake manifold and the reed assembly.)
And the gasket measures .040" thick also. So perhaps the two can work together to seal the assembly.

However the intake manifold has a second built in rubber "o-ring" ridge (although not nearly as high) that contacts the reed assembly toward the outside of the reed block.
So with these two built in "o-ring" ridges you probably do not need a gasket unless the built in rubber "o-ring" ridges are defective.