Dirt Bike Magazine KDX 200

Got questions? We got answers....
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

Dirt Bike magazine shared this link on twitter this morning. (history of the kdx)
http://dirtbikemagazine.com/home-featur ... aki-kdx200
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Neat article! Thanks for posting.
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Very cool!
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

I ran across this article online last summer while I was researching John Penton's link to the KDX. Great article. The end of the article says (don't really understand this),

"And that’s the sad legacy of the KDX200. Despite being around for so long, it was killed before its time. The 2006 KDX would no doubt continue to sell well today if the two-stroke trail bike hadn’t been outlawed."

When were two- stroke trail bikes outlawed? and when did it become legal again?
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

The article is dated 01/12/15 but I could have sworn I read it before, in fact I borrowed some of the info to write the kdx200 Wikipedia page
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Dirt Bike Magazine KDX 200

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the link.

yep, it is a little older, it is a repost

A 2006 and newer made KDX200 could not get on USFS land, which would hurt sales, in my estimation. Please note, 2006 made, not 2006 model made in 2005 before the EPA laws changed and impacted 2-stroke off-road (non-MX) bikes. I believe you can see the differences in KTM's line-up change around that time with the models not having the spark arrestor.

In 2002, the EPA came up with laws that affected 2006 and onward.

I guess Kawasaki did not want to market it as a "competition only model" or include it in "all models testing of emissions".

This site was around before the hammer got dropped, and I am sure we discussed it before the 2006 time frame. I think I posted a link a while back to the EPA site or a copy of the law.

With that said, why was there no 2006 KDX220R?

and with all that said, Kawasaki is sucking the last few years on bike choice. They must be focusing on ships and bulldozers. :toimonster: :vom: :evil:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

As Jason said, bikes built Jan 2006 and onward had emissions targets if to be used on public land for recreation. Two strokes weren't outlawed, but the hydrocarbon allowances are small enough that a simple, carbureted two stroke won't pass. Two stroke trail bikes could exisit with direct injection, but then you are looking at adding a lot of cost, weight, and complexity to an engine design who's strong points are light weight, low cost, and simplicity.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

adam728 wrote:As Jason said, bikes built Jan 2006 and onward had emissions targets if to be used on public land for recreation. Two strokes weren't outlawed, but the hydrocarbon allowances are small enough that a simple, carbureted two stroke won't pass. Two stroke trail bikes could exisit with direct injection, but then you are looking at adding a lot of cost, weight, and complexity to an engine design who's strong points are light weight, low cost, and simplicity.
So why (for example) are un-plated KTM 2-strokes allowed in the Allegheny National Forest Trails here in PA? 2-strokes have really made a comeback in recent years, but what regulation was dropped?
Last edited by Keystone on 04:47 pm Jan 14 2015, edited 1 time in total.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

It's mostly a California thing. Can't get a "green" sticker on 2T bikes there any more. Japan isn't going to read every law for every state. They are going to pick the most difficult state to register in and use that info.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Really cool article. Thanks for sharing.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am not certain on the law, but google search can find it for you.

Whatever it was, it did change how non-competition models were regulated. I do know that.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Keystone wrote:
adam728 wrote:As Jason said, bikes built Jan 2006 and onward had emissions targets if to be used on public land for recreation. Two strokes weren't outlawed, but the hydrocarbon allowances are small enough that a simple, carbureted two stroke won't pass. Two stroke trail bikes could exisit with direct injection, but then you are looking at adding a lot of cost, weight, and complexity to an engine design who's strong points are light weight, low cost, and simplicity.
So why (for example) are un-plated KTM 2-strokes allowed in the Allegheny National Forest Trails here in PA? 2-strokes have really made a comeback in recent years, but what regulation was dropped?
It's rarely, if ever, enforced on the end user. Tomorrow on the computer I can find the EPA regulation links. Notice all those KTMs likely say "closed course use only". There are regs saying you cannot use one outside of public land or racing. Even that you can't mod a regulated bike, like a WR. But never enforced.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

KDX 200 one of Super Hunky's favorite dirt bikes

Post by IDRIDR »

Lookee what I found ... http://articles.superhunky.com/4/281
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Nice! Haha!
Wish that had a date on it.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Well......It looks like Yamaha is entering the mix. :bravo:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/12/24/20 ... fications/

Granted they are 4 strokes, but it's the first real challenge to the KTM faithful from the Japanese manufacturers. I sure hope Kawasaki gets in the mix, preferably with a 2 stroke.

Interesting that they release a green sticker and a non. Thinking outside the box. I'm not a big yamaha fan, but it's a start.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

Swing-and-a-miss by Yamaha on the big deals to me. Cost to rebuild top end? Time to rebuild top-end? Service intervals? Ease of engine modification (can't just port)? Those are the reasons I love a two-stroke.
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

dingerjunkie wrote:Swing-and-a-miss by Yamaha on the big deals to me. Cost to rebuild top end? Time to rebuild top-end? Service intervals? Ease of engine modification (can't just port)? Those are the reasons I love a two-stroke.
I'll give you things like weight, simplicity, ease of sevice, etc. But ease of engine modification? I'd argue the Yamaha beats the pants off the KDX there. They sell a programmer for it, not to mention what the aftermarket will bring for tuning. Wet clay ride day? Take some timing out and tame the hit. Soft sand race? Tune it up for peak power. Add in cams, exhaust, etc and you can seriously define how bike runs.

2 stroke porting is great and all, but you aren't exactly going to play with multiple setups a day, nor go too far and then just come back a few iterations.