Curious about bigger riders on a kdx200

Got questions? We got answers....
Dragonknee

Post by Dragonknee »

I have a chance to pick up a rebuilt and mechanically excellent 1990 KDX200. I am looking for a smaller lighter bike for woods riding but I am 6'1" and weigh 240 or so... Like I said I live up in the Northwest and the trails are tight and rugged most of the time... some fireroads and such but.. What I want is a bike thats easy to drag up the hill when it might take off down the hill and something thats just fun for recreational riding..... SO.... Do you think that this is a viable bike for me... I have been a desert and trail rider and rode MX back in the late 70s and thru the 80s... now I am pretty much a street rider and own a Vstrom and a Moto Guzzi and lots of other bikes.. Thanks
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Curious about bigger riders on a kdx200

Post by 6 Riders »

My brother in law is 6' 3" about 240-260#.....He rode his 90 both in the Desert and the woods, here in the PNW. Bike will haul your lumpy but around just fine :mrgreen:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Dragonknee

Post by Dragonknee »

6 Riders wrote:My brother in law is 6' 3" about 240-260#.....He rode his 90 both in the Desert and the woods, here in the PNW. Bike will haul your lumpy but around just fine :mrgreen:
my lumpy but thanks you... I figured it would... I live on the olympic peninsula and there is tons of great riding out here.. .But being 54 means that I have slowed down a tad but still want to ride.... Thanks :bravo:
masterblaster

Post by masterblaster »

6/230lbs the ergos are a little cramped but for your intended use she'll haul you around just fine. I actually motocross mine.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I am 6 3" & 210lbs I run renthal " desert" high bars with enduro engineering 2" bar risers with a 1" forward position ..I can sit far forward on my bike without feeling cramped & when stood up I'm not hunched over the front too much either . It's very comfortable on the trails & is easily controllable .
Dragonknee

Post by Dragonknee »

I figured that it would fit... I mean my buddys and I raise hell in his yard with xr70's and xr80's. Way to small for me.. but fun. I am just looking for a light, fun, easy to haul around bike with enough get up to have a good day...Thanks :wink:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

6'2" 295
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Spring for your weight. Possibly add tall seat.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Dragonknee

Post by Dragonknee »

I am looking forward to getting the bike, thanks for all the info...
KDXWonder

Post by KDXWonder »

I'm 5'10" and 235lbs and I do fine on my 91. Having the rear shock rebuilt and installing a stiffer spring per Jeff Fredette. He suggested a 5.0 for my riding style and area.
Dragonknee

Post by Dragonknee »

Got the bike and now I'm ready to go.. took it for a short ride and its a hoot to ride... light, and fun to ride.... Glad I got it.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Dragonknee wrote:Got the bike and now I'm ready to go.. took it for a short ride and its a hoot to ride... light, and fun to ride.... Glad I got it.
Congrats!

If you feel cramped on it check out the Trials Bend bars from pro taper. I'm 6'3" and they make the bike fit like a glove for me.

They're a real tall and wide bar, but I haven't found a pair of trees I can't shimmy them through yet.
Dragonknee

Post by Dragonknee »

ohgood wrote:
Dragonknee wrote:Got the bike and now I'm ready to go.. took it for a short ride and its a hoot to ride... light, and fun to ride.... Glad I got it.
Congrats!

If you feel cramped on it check out the Trials Bend bars from pro taper. I'm 6'3" and they make the bike fit like a glove for me.

They're a real tall and wide bar, but I haven't found a pair of trees I can't shimmy them through yet.
Is that with or without a set of risers... does it feel cramped on trails???? I am excited to get out on it and all I have to do is get the title straightened out... Then its summer and riding... Yep
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I have RC high bend with risers and the also feels good, but they're a bit wide at times (and lack sweep) for really tight stuff. But they're great for taller riders. I'm 6'5". I might try CR high or that trials bar later on.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Dragonknee wrote:
ohgood wrote:
Congrats!

Is that with or without a set of risers... does it feel cramped on trails???? I am excited to get out on it and all I have to do is get the title straightened out... Then its summer and riding... Yep

I prefer tight trails instead of speed, these fit me extremely well, without risers. Standing is almost perfect, seated is jusssssst right. Any taller and my elbows would be down, I love em.
Dragonknee

Post by Dragonknee »

Sounds good... Looking forward to the rides... Its a great bike
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Have any of you ever cut your bars shorter? Just curious...
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Bitteeinit wrote:Have any of you ever cut your bars shorter? Just curious...
Some guys do. I like the wider more comfy bars. You just have to do the wobble to get through the tighter trees.
Dragonknee

Post by Dragonknee »

They're a real tall and wide bar, but I haven't found a pair of trees I can't shimmy them through yet.[/quote]

Is that with or without a set of risers... does it feel cramped on trails???? I am excited to get out on it and all I have to do is get the title straightened out... Then its summer and riding... Yep[/quote]

I prefer tight trails instead of speed, these fit me extremely well, without risers. Standing is almost perfect, seated is jusssssst right. Any taller and my elbows would be down, I love em.[/quote]

Just curious.... Got a pic of the bars...either with you on the bike standing or just the bike bars...Thanks Man