Tire not straight on rim

Got questions? We got answers....
NewKDX

Tire not straight on rim

Post by NewKDX »

Ok I just got done installing new tires on my bike I put them on bike and then spun them with my hand while the bike was on the center stand. The front looks fine and straight on the rim. But as I stand right behind the bike and spin the rear wheel I notice that the tire isn't perfectly straight its hard to explain. If you are looking at the outer edge of the tire while you spin the wheel you notice the tire moves to left or to right just a little. Is this something I should worry about? Also could the rim lock effect this by not properly installing the rim lock?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Tire not straight on rim

Post by diymirage »

how much PSI are you running ?
it might be the bead is not properly seated
what did you use for lube?

another thing to consider is that the rimlock might be over tightened and you see the tire bulge where the rimlock tightens it down
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
NewKDX

Post by NewKDX »

ok so if I let out all the air and loosen up the rim lock shouldn't I be able to push the rim lock back into the tire? If its stuck does that mean its not seated correctly?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Yes you should be able to push the rim lock back up into the tire. If you look closely at the tire bead, you can see a "ridge", it's small but there. If you can't see that evenly around the whole tire, then your bead is not set right.
If that is the case, take the tire and wheel and put about 65-80 psi in it, put it somewhere warm (I usually leave mine in the sun) and leave it over night. The bead should slowly seat properly. If that doesn't work, dismount and try again.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

I also let the air out, break the bead loose, and spray liberal amounts of Windex all around the bead on both sides. Then air it back up as high as you're comfortable with.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

GI_JO_NATHAN wrote:I also let the air out, break the bead loose, and spray liberal amounts of Windex all around the bead on both sides. Then air it back up as high as you're comfortable with.
Same, but use straight dish soap.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

NewKDX wrote:ok so if I let out all the air and loosen up the rim lock shouldn't I be able to push the rim lock back into the tire? If its stuck does that mean its not seated correctly?
yes

and if you do not push the rimlock back when installing the tire it will not seat properly
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
NewKDX

Post by NewKDX »

This information is all very helpful thank you everyone! Is there anything else that you for got to mention that would be useful?
sthutch
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by sthutch »

What i have done is to let the air out to about 5-7 psi and holding the wheel vertically bounce the tire on the floor. I rotate it about an 1/8 of a turn with each bounce. This requires some force, but the bead usually sets in one or two rotations. It's quick and works for me.
Sthutch

1st Bike: '72 Arctic Cat Whisker (rode it to the wheels fell off)
2nd Bike: '76 KT250 Trials (gone, but not forgotten)
3rd Bike: '01 KDX200
4th Bike: '96 DS80 (okay, my 9yr old's and it's gone)
5th Bike: '04 RM65 (okay, he's now 10 and it's gone)
6th Bike: '08 KTM 105xc (okay, he's now 13)
7th Bike: '06 KTM 200xc-w (okay, he's now 16)
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

sthutch wrote:What i have done is to let the air out to about 5-7 psi and holding the wheel vertically bounce the tire on the floor. I rotate it about an 1/8 of a turn with each bounce. This requires some force, but the bead usually sets in one or two rotations. It's quick and works for me.
I do this except I air it up to about 60 or 70. Then the pressure from the air and the impact from bouncing pops it into place