USD vs conventional

Got questions? We got answers....
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: USD vs conventional

Post by kawagumby »

6 Riders wrote:
Jason wrote:kawagumby..what do you do when you are zipping along the cliff edge trails and meet someone from around the corner also zipping along the cliff edge trails???
Cali not only has those smooth and wide single tracks, but they are one way also. The two track looks like a road :whistle:
Most of that was bladed wide access roads, but if you watched the whole video, there were some nice tight single-line stuff too. The video quality doesn't detail the rough surfaces tho'...they are NOT smooth - quite the opposite! That's why I used the video to illustrate how well the USD forks work... This video was taken at the end of summer in a riding park after a season of use by zillions of riders, and is mostly hard pack with stutters, ruts and such, poor traction.
And yes, they are one-way! But even so, I ride on days when not too many people are around - as I"ve been in head-ons even on one-way trails. :roll: Some inexperienced guys seem to think riding backwards on these trails is OK so you need to pick and choose when to ride.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

kawagumby wrote: Most of that was bladed wide access roads, but if you watched the whole video, there were some nice tight single-line stuff too. The video quality doesn't detail the rough surfaces tho'...they are NOT smooth - quite the opposite! That's why I used the video to illustrate how well the USD forks work... This video was taken at the end of summer in a riding park after a season of use by zillions of riders, and is mostly hard pack with stutters, ruts and such, poor traction.
And yes, they are one-way! But even so, I ride on days when not too many people are around - as I"ve been in head-ons even on one-way trails. :roll: Some inexperienced guys seem to think riding backwards on these trails is OK so you need to pick and choose when to ride.
I was just picking on you. Those forks are butter smooth and it can be "seen" in the video. How much work was it to swap those on?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Similar to a KX USD conversion, you need to knurl the stem to fit the YZ or WR triples. You can use the entire KDX brake system including the caliper by simply changing the fork mounting bracket on the caliper to a YZ bracket (both brands use the same caliper itself). Either an early 2000's KX wheel or YZ/WR wheel will work, you just need to cut the axle spacers to center the rotor in the caliper - they both use the same diameter rotor and axle. Finally, you need to fab a bracket to hold the brake line to the fork guard - (or just use zip ties like I do being a lazy dude).
Pretty straight-forward... and like I've said before, the early 2000's yamaha triples move the bars about 1/2" forward - which gets rid of most of the cramped feel of the KDX cockpit some of us notice.

I've used KX forks also, and I like the yamaha's better. I think they are easier to revalve for plush off-road due to larger orifices in the compression valve head.

The USD's really transform a KDX... :supz:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.