Is this how the mechanical seal and oil seal goes?

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

This is the mechanical seal and the oil seal for the water pump

Does the oil seal sit on top of the mechanical seal like this?

My service book doesn't say.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Ok, so from what I've been reading, that is wrong. From what I understand, I'm supposed to press the oil seal into the hole from the inside of the engine cover, so that the opened side of the oil seal is facing the inside of the engine cover. Then insert the bearing from the inside of the engine cover. The press the mechanical seal in the engine cover from the outside of the engine cover, then the impeller and nut?

Is this correct?
superman27e

Re: Is this how the mechanical seal and oil seal goes?

Post by superman27e »

Also, how in the world am I supposed to get the seal pressed inside the cover? I feel like I would break it.... Any tips on that?
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Never mind, guys. I have the wrong oil seal. I needed 92049B, but purchased 92049.
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

Well that sucks.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Yea, man..it really does. I'm gonna do a how to thread on changing water pump seals when the right seal gets here. Seems to be a lot of confusion on it.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

superman27e wrote:Yea, man..it really does. I'm gonna do a how to thread on changing water pump seals when the right seal gets here. Seems to be a lot of confusion on it.
I was going to ask if you'd do one. Sounds like you're learning a lot hear which is a great opportunity to teach. Looking forward to it.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I did mine right after I got my bike...took two tries to get the seals right. The manual just doesn't explain this very well. There is a thread on here somewhere where I explain how to do it. I wasn't smart enough back then to take pictures, but I'm sure I'm due for a repeat.
I know that the mechanical seal can easily be destroyed while pressing it in, so be careful when doing that....hell just order a 2nd one since you have to reorder the other seal...you'll probably need it :whistle:
The other problem with the whole process is that the parts diagram is wrong. IIRC There are only 2 parts to the water pump seal and 2 optional parts. The optional parts are the bearing and the seal that sits "inside" the impeller. I replaced all of them, just because it's a smart thing to do when you have the inner cover off.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type