Setting up for ice riding

Got questions? We got answers....
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Google has let me down on this one, can't find anything im looking for. Title says it all really, first and foremost what tire setup should I be looking into and stud size etc? I'm not a racer not will I be, I just wanna fart around on the ice.... I have **** tires right now haha so I need a new set anyway. Kenda has the winter k335 but it's imperial sized and it comes in a 4.00x18 i. Suppose that would fit as 100/100-18 is 4.10x18.... Just curious if anyone else has a better tire in mind? And anything for the front? Fredette uses a Bridgestone ed11 but it's kinda pricey
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

You can stud the one you have and then put fresh ones on for spring. Some use concrete screws and 1/4 nuts. Check you-tube its on there.
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

I would, but the back tire is horrid! haha its not even a 100/100-18 the p/o installed some 120/80-18 or something like that, its pretty much as bald as I am haha so im looking to find the right tire for studs, and then come spring i will get another tire. i know guys like to use softer compound tires for winter but i am not sure how soft i want to go and all that as this will be my first experience doing anything on two wheels in the winter.

i know i also have to fatten up the jetting, ive read all the jetting guides until my eyes go crossed but if i have a quick reference of a starting point it would be great!
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Setting up for ice riding

Post by JoKDX220r »

I have a set with concrete screws/nuts ( old tires ) it worked fines but I only ride 30mins last winter.. If I was to ride more I would try one of theses :

-Trelleborg tires
- grip studs http://www.gripstuds.com/1800R_Tire_Stud.php
- MF 44 http://www.mf44.ca/en/productList.asp?groupID=8
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

Has any one tried the grip studs. They are a little expensive 250 studs are $295. A Mitas Trelleborg is around $314
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

I got some of the gold screws or whatever they're called but I don't have near enough meat to screw into haha... Can you still find the trelleborg winter studded?
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

kold kutter screws work great, for maybe 4 ride. life span is short, but they're cheap and easy. I'm rocking the bruno wessel studs. there are another type that kdxquebec uses, probably better but cost more also. for tires, kenda washougal stickies hold studs well and are cheap. for what I understand, hard tires don't hold studs well. I have a buddy that uses the IRC m5b rear and it hold studs good. we're riding woods though, not ice. it is rumored than a good stud/tire combo will last for years of winter riding.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

So im about to make the order for tires, just found out that the girlfriends ttr uses the same tire size as the kx100 that im looking into purchasing for her, so im a go for getting this cold winter party started. Would just regular kenda Washougal tires be decent? they don't offer the sticky in the "mini" version....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I use Washougals....I wouldn't even consider the sticky tire....They have great traction! My wife prefers the Washougals over the 403/404 combo on her little bikes.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

6 Riders wrote:I use Washougals....I wouldn't even consider the sticky tire....They have great traction! My wife prefers the Washougals over the 403/404 combo on her little bikes.
Awesome, i never know with tires how they're going to perform unless I have word of others. Can't just look at it and know these days, Im always researching for my vehicles on the tires and its payed off

Thnx guys! Now for the long process of getting everything ready. Likely going to end up studding the girlfriends tire too :roll: haha
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I did the Washoughal front and Trackmaster II on my son's bike. He was sliding a bit on the track with that tire, but in the woods, he was FAST. It seems like a good combo and you save a few bucks. The Front tire is the one that I worry about the most. The rear (for trail riding at least) doesn't seem to be as important as the front tire.
I am completely happy with my Washougals though and will be buying them for all my bikes.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

What about for studding for ice tho? I'm pretty sure we'll be rocking washougals in the summer too they look like an aggressive trail tire for our needs.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

If I was using the screw type studs, I'd probably run the trackmasters, just cause there cheap and have big knobs. I don't like the trackmaster front tire though, not so good on slippery stuff, where the Washougal sticks to everything.