Pushing in turns

Got questions? We got answers....
Surfnjmatt

Pushing in turns

Post by Surfnjmatt »

Seems like my kdx pushes and likes to washout in turns no matter how far forward I move myself to load the front end.

Any tips??
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Pushing in turns

Post by s10gto »

got a pic of the bike? Maybe front end set-up in tripple clamps. Is it sprung for your weight? Factory forks or USD? Front tire?
Surfnjmatt

Pushing in turns

Post by Surfnjmatt »

Has a new pirelli tire, just resprung the forks for my weight. I personally feel as if the back may be to soft and is unloading the front to much.
I am 190-195 with no gear on and have the original back spring on it.

Was thinking of a fresh oil change and going up to a 5.2 spring.

Surfnjmatt

Post by Surfnjmatt »

Also I am 8 clicks out in the forks
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

First make sure your rear sag is set right then try raising the forks in the triples about 1/4 " at a time. Rear sag and fork height are critical for turning.
Were your replacement springs the right length? If not the preload may be too much also.

Even if the rear spring is a little on the soft side for your weight, if everything is setup right, it should still turn OK when weighting the front.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

could possibly be caused by stiction in front forks, did you reassemble according to shop manual? This would apply to reassemble of front wheel to forks as well . Sounds like a possible sag problem as well
( stink bug effect). I think Kawagumby is on the right track.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Nice looking ride!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
nwrider45

Post by nwrider45 »

FWIW, I recently put in .42Kg fork springs and a 5.4Kg rear spring -- my all up weight is about 230# and the bike seems to be well balanced. Settings front and rear are standard. May need to reduce the compression damping in the front forks to be a bit more plush through the rocks.

Based on your info, I'd say the 5.2 Kg rear spring should help.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Start simple....I have noticed that mine will push a lot if it doesn't like the front tire. Could simply be to much air in it as well.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

All of you are overlooking the obvious- its a woods bike with a steeper fork angle that works better at tight trail turns and worse on motocross turns. Drop the forks and put less preload on the rear shock spring. That will increase your fork angle. If that's not enough then change the dog bones to let the rear sit lower.
Also brake more before the turn so that you can power through it.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/