Remove steering race before powder coating ?

Got questions? We got answers....
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

I managed to dismantle all elements attached to the frame. Except the steering races.

They seem in good condition. if I have to remove the races, I have to find a mechanical workshop because I don't have the tools and it seems very expensive. And I'm little bit afraid of "screwdriver + rubber mallet" method.

Is it really necessary to remove the races before powder coating ? Assuming they will be protected.

If I replace the steering bearings, is it usual to replace the races at the same time ?

Thx :)
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Remove steering race before powder coating ?

Post by Tedh98 »

I have never had my frame powder coated, but I would assume the same thing applies if it were painted.

I would leave them in for powder coating but then replace them since you are replacing the bearings. I personally wouldn't use new bearings on old races. If you take the races out and get powder coating on that surface, you will just end up having to remove the PC to get the new races back in.

Screwdriver, drift, punch - they will all work fine. Just don't try to bang it it out all at once. Try to move your screwdriver/punch/drift at least 90 degrees at a time.

I use the old races to help drive the new ones back in.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

last time we had one done we didn't remove the races, as the bearings were in good shape. We just instructed the guy doing the coating on what to tape off, and that included both ends of the steering stem tube.
mad419iou1

Post by mad419iou1 »

I usually pull mine out before I powder, especially since I send everything out for a de-grease bake and sandblasting.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

If this helps

How I would do it is:

If not replacing races is to instruct powder coater "don't coat them"

If I was replacing races is:
1) knock the old ones out with a drift (long smal round flat ended chisel)
2) tap the bottom ones out from the top and viceverser there should be a small lip protruding and tap on that while working your way around opposite ends. Sort of like 12 o'clock to 6, 3 to 9. This is so you don't sque the race and lock it in.
3) you will then still have to tell the powder coater not to spray that or you will never get the new ones in.
4) put new ones in with the old ones sitting on top so you can get them below the ridge. If you don't have old ones then you had better be carefull.

Both roads start with "don't spray there"!
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would not use old races and new bearings.

If I was going to have a frame powder coated, I would just lightly sand it where the races were going to go.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

Ok it was easier than I thought. I knock 3-4 times on a steel tube with a 1kg sledgehammer for each race and voilà :)

It's time to order new ones.