Water pump ball bearing removal.

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

What's up, guys? I'm trying to replace the water pump seal on my 99 KDX200. Unfortunately I'm stuck on the ball bearing. I can't remove it, and the usual auto parts stores around here don't have a bearing removal tool small enough. Got any tips or tricks on how to get this thing out? I don't have a torch, but I do have an oven.

I was going to buy Kawasaki's remover set, but that thing is almost $500!! :O

http://www.gearhead.com/kawasaki-57001- ... 001-1129/1

EDIT:

Ok, I got the bearing out without messing it up. But now I the oil seal doesn't seem to fit where it should. I took some pics to show where I'm at. I have my manual, but it's not helping at all.

How do I assemble this? Like I said, I tried the manual, but either I have the wrong manual, or I'm just dumb, haha.

pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Do you have the new replacement seal?

While I have never replaced the Kaw seal, I have done a great many similar seals on water pumps. From what I see, you still have part of the seal in the bore. That sheet metal sleeve is part of the stationary portion of the seal. You gotta knock it outa there.

The whole stationary part of the seal gets pressed into the bore. The press fit is between the case bore and the outside diameter of the stainless steel sleeve.

Now, I have a problem with the manual's instruction to press the seal into the bore with a press driver pressing directly onto the carbon. That carbon is brittle and is a highly polished surface. That, in contact with the polished surface on the ceramic that gets pushed into the impeller, is where the sealing takes place. On similar seals used in the pumps I work on, I always use and tell my customers to press the seal into place with a piece of tubing that fits around the carbon and bears on the lip of of the stainless steel cup. That way, you don't risk damaging the carbon.

Hope this helps.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

What's confusing me is how to assemble it. If I follow this diagram, it's telling me to put everything on the outside of the case. Even the bearing. Pretty sure that's not how it does.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/199 ... 6#sch63173

I'm just confused as to what goes where on the shaft and in what order.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

In the second picture, the part that's in the metal part in the hole where the water pump goes... what is that? Is it this? Part number 4911?

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/199 ... 6#sch63173
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Water pump ball bearing removal.

Post by 6 Riders »

It's the mechanical seal. You've left part of it in. The diagram is wrong....There is a thread about it on hear already........We where talking about the part #'s needed and the fact that the diagram is wrong. Check it out...all the info that you need to end this part of your confusion.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... water+pump
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

In the trade, this seal is a "Type 6A mechanical seal with cup mount ceramic".

That "white washer" that fits in a recess in the impeller is the ceramic part of the seal. It's polished face contacts the mating polished face of the stationary carbon.

If you Google TYPE 6A MECHANICAL SEAL, you will find an exploded view, cross section drawing, and other good information about mechanical shaft seals.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Ok, that makes sense now, I think. I ordered the mechanical seal, but the company sent me a dang flywheel puller instead. Smh.

So, how do I get that middle piece out? The metal piece in the second picture.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

6 Riders wrote:It's the mechanical seal. You've left part of it in. The diagram is wrong....There is a thread about it on hear already........We where talking about the part #'s needed and the fact that the diagram is wrong. Check it out...all the info that you need to end this part of your confusion.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... water+pump
So when I order the mechanical seal, I don't need to order the part in that diagram I posted with the part number of 49111? Because it'll come with the mechanical seal?

Or does 49111 not even go to the water pump?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

P/n 49111 is part of the KIPS actuating mechanism and has nothing to do with the water pump seal. #49063 is the mechanical seal, #601 is the bearing, #670 is the O ring, and 920498 is the oil seal, AKA lip seal
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

pumpguy wrote:P/n 49111 is part of the KIPS actuating mechanism and has nothing to do with the water pump seal. #49063 is the mechanical seal, #601 is the bearing, #670 is the O ring, and 920498 is the oil seal, AKA lip seal