kdx220 kips sticking sometimes??

Got questions? We got answers....
Surfnjmatt

Post by Surfnjmatt »

is it possible that my kipps only sticks sometimes> when it kicks in the bike is fast and pulls nice and smooth. But sometimes its like its not working at all then all of the sudden it kicks it then seems fine after that.

Thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kdx220 kips sticking sometimes??

Post by Julien D »

Possible? Of course... I know of only one way to be sure. Tear it down and have a look. Make sure everything is clean, lubricated, and in good condition, then stitch it back up.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

As a first check, you might want to remove the #92066 round plug that's just in front of the resonator on the left side of the cylinder.

This will allow you to see the gear that operates the KIPS valves. As you rev up the engine, this gear should move, opening up the KIPS. Drop the revs down and the gear should move the other way, closing the KIPS.

If you can see the gear moving reliably as you change the revs, this is a pretty good indication that the KIPS are working as they should.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the timing is off due to wrong assembly....

Some folks play with the spring tension and number of washers under the 13091 holder screw. I understand this affects the opening speed of the KIPS.
Adamnb1

Post by Adamnb1 »

Yes, checking out the main shaft gear would be a good first start.
I don't think it would be a 'timing' issue (gear teeth not aligned at proper markings) because he said the problem seems intermittent
[youtube][/youtube]
Also.. is your carb cleaned and tuned well? choppy performance due to issues on the intake end could perhaps be misidentified as a kips problem