Replating

Got questions? We got answers....
Drussell

Replating

Post by Drussell »

Just sent my jug off to WI for millennium tech to do a replate. Found my jug and piston in bad shape. Any tips for someone doing their first top end ever? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have a brother that has done them on Hondas but I don't believe he has with anything plated.

Will post up some pics when I get it back. So far MT has been easy to deal with. Hope their work is as good as their service.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Replating

Post by Gotanubike »

It will look brand spanking new, will need lots of lubrication using 2 stroke oil for the KIPS before they go back in...you can clean up the new cylinder bore with wd-40 and a scotch brite scouring pad. Wipe down with clean cloth then coat with generous amount of 2T oil before installing piston

New base gasket should always be used after removing the jug. You could consider having the cylinder head resurfaced...You can do that at home with a large piece of glass, the right grit sand paper
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Replating

Post by royadams »

Make shure you set the proper ring gap, so you dont take out that new top end.
Drussell

Replating

Post by Drussell »

Funny you should mention the base gasket. Which I am going to replace all the gaskets in the top end. But there was NOT a gasket and the bottom of the cylinder when I took it off. I don't know if anyone recalls that thread about my dirtbike dieseling and the gas getting on top of my stator cover. I know I should have noticed that sooner but I just didn't imagine someone not putting one on after a top end! Even the two nuts thag hold the cylinder down on the left side were really loose!!! I have found quiet a few gaskets missing thus far lol Next time I buy a dirtbike I will be more knowledgeable on what to check lol.

I will check the head out according to the service manual. What exactly would "resurfacing" the head do? If everything on it is within the service limit, should I bother?

I plan on using thus time also to touch up some of the paint on the frame and swing arm. My brother found this aluminum looking paint that makes the swing arm look almost new again. I just gotta get some I can brush on for details. I know it won't be as durable as powder coating and what not, but it's going to be a trail bike and get roughed up anyway.

Anyone have some radiator guards they wanna unload? I'd prefer anything but purple lol only purple I have left on the bike is the radiator guards and the gas tank. Anyone have a black gas tank too?
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

As far as the tank and radiator shrouds - You may want to try this - it was on another thread...
https://www.youtube.com/v/y6yYHnVcAJA
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
Drussell

Replating

Post by Drussell »

Wow thanks for the link. Has anyone here personally tried it?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

if your working on an H model I have a little tip on aligning the subvalves (might work on a E aswell, im not sure)

as you know there are 2 subvalves with a actuator rod in between and timing marks on all of them
what ive found the easiest way to do it is drop the subvalves in however they may fall with the bushings OFF
now you slide the rod in and once the rod is sitting where it will grab a pair of needle nose pliers and lift the valves up a little
there is a bit of an hourglass shape to the subvalves and by lifting it up the rod will sit right in the narrow part of the hourglass
now you can spin the subvalve without moving the rod
turn them until the timing marks line up and drop into place

never tried dying a tank but I have painted one (in fact, an entire set of plastics) with krylon fusion
the trick to getting the paint to stick to the tank and STAY on the tank is to stop the tank from "breathing"
this is accomplished by coating the inside of the tank with a gas tank sealer (I used caswell 2 part epoxy)

held up well so far

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ey#p147492

oh, and if the cylinder isn't back yet and you haven't bought a top end kit yet I would suggest buying it from millennium, that way they will test fit it and it will be a perfect match (to the actual piston, not the book spec bore)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Drussell wrote:Funny you should mention the base gasket. Which I am going to replace all the gaskets in the top end. But there was NOT a gasket and the bottom of the cylinder when I took it off. I don't know if anyone recalls that thread about my dirtbike dieseling and the gas getting on top of my stator cover. I know I should have noticed that sooner but I just didn't imagine someone not putting one on after a top end! Even the two nuts thag hold the cylinder down on the left side were really loose!!! I have found quiet a few gaskets missing thus far lol Next time I buy a dirtbike I will be more knowledgeable on what to check lol.

I will check the head out according to the service manual. What exactly would "resurfacing" the head do? If everything on it is within the service limit, should I bother?

I plan on using thus time also to touch up some of the paint on the frame and swing arm. My brother found this aluminum looking paint that makes the swing arm look almost new again. I just gotta get some I can brush on for details. I know it won't be as durable as powder coating and what not, but it's going to be a trail bike and get roughed up anyway.

Anyone have some radiator guards they wanna unload? I'd prefer anything but purple lol only purple I have left on the bike is the radiator guards and the gas tank. Anyone have a black gas tank too?
ill take the purple!
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

Lol I'd trade the purple for a black. Anyone have an undrilled air box lid they would like to ship to me?
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

Also, I did order the top end kit with the replate. Figured it was best at the time. And don't think I'll have to do the timing on the kips other than the shaft coming out of the clutch side, because mil. Services the kips and they have actually informed me they found something missing and broke in there lol which they are replacing and repairing for me. Of course for some extra money lol