A few KX questions

Got questions? We got answers....
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

A few KX questions

Post by quailchaser »

Nice report on the KX. I've got TONS of jetting info, and TONS of jets too; needles, mains, and pilots. Right now I'm running 160 main, 50 pilot and NAFF needle on the leanest clip. This is good from sea level to 3000 feet (maybe a little more depending on air temps) I've been using the JD software to dink with what jetting to ride at 6000+ feet but have yet to try it out.

As far as stalling, get an AUTO-CLUTCH!!!!
I'm sorry, but I had to start a new thread...Something weird was going on in my other thread. :naughty:

Thanks Ski. Any jetting info you've developed, created, stole, borrowed, whatevered, is appreciated greatly! :prayer: My KX is stock...stock pipe, stock reeds, NAFF clip # 2, 165 main, 55 pilot, 48 power jet. The previous owners' solution to jetting was to run VP110 and premium pump gas in a 50/50 mixture with Maxima Super M at 40:1. Which is exactly as I ran it on Saturday. No reason to get rid of good fuel! It was rich and would load up after riding at low RPM's. The KDX never does this.

Anyway, as related to your KX jetting as quoted above, what mods are on your KX? What fuel are you using? What mixture ratio and what premix are you using?

I'm not ready to start "cheating" just yet. :zip: I like the clutch...don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the auto clutches.

The first thing is to iron out the jetting and get the KX set up how I like it. I remember that it took me a long time to get the KDX set up where I was comfortable with the set up. :mrgreen:

I mentioned the KDX...that makes this thread ok right? :wink:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Your jetting is bone stock from the factory. I strongly recommend dropping that needle one click and getting a 52 pilot for starters. How's the top end jetting wise?

My mods to the motor are:
Jetting, VForce III reed valve, ProCircuit Platinum II pipe, FMF turbinecore II SA, UNI air filter.

I run pump premium (91 octane in California) and mix it 40:1 with SuperM. I tried Mobil MX2T but it doesn't burn. Instead it spooges everywhere.

What's your elevation?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Elevation...Doh :blink: ~1600'. Rides typically run from 1600' to 3500'.

DFIII might be a good addition...I hadn't really thought about that! :wink: The stock pipe is going to stay until I crush it. That way I'll have at least 2-3 more weeks to come up with the money to replace it with an FMF Gnarly.

Dropping the needle one clip will put it at the most lean position. :shock: Is there a better needle profile? I haven't done a plug chop and I didn't spend much time in the top. The bike was loading up after staying in the low end for awhile. It didn't seem to have as much run out as I thought it should the few times I had a chance to open her up. I did find that it was harder to lift the front end over obsticles with the KX than the KDX. :shock: For some odd reason the rear would just break loose. :lol:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

First things last: Try a fly wheel weight to get better hook up when blipping the throttle for lift. 'Course I don't need a FFW cause I have AUTOCLUTCH!!!!. The FFW will assist with preventing the stalling out problems too.

My elevations are about the same as yours. Nothing wrong with that needle profile unless you want to jet it for higher elevations. For 3000 to 6000 feet I run this:

50 pilot, N3WG clip #2 needle, 155 main. Slide and power jet are left alone. This will be an "across the board" leaning of your jetting. If you are fine on top, then this might lean out the top too much for you, but I doubt it.

Try going to the other site and do a search on N3WE or on KX250. The info is not much, but some good stuff. They like the N3WE but the N3WG leans out the 1/16 to 1/8 throttle better and I ride lots of times with the throttle just barely cracked.

Find the JD jetting guide Inda posted up here somewhere as a zip file. That is a boon for playing with jetting possibilities.

****EDIT****
BTW, I just received a NAFH needle I'll be experimenting with as well.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!