I'm not addicted...Is denial the first sign of a problem?

Got questions? We got answers....
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

I'm not addicted...Is denial the first sign of a problem?

Post by quailchaser »

Well, here she is..... :mrgreen:

Our van now has a permanent spot in the driveway. :wink:

So far I've only added the spark arrestor, skid plate, radiator guards and suspension work. I've got Renthal twinwall fat bars, new levers, cycra hand guards, and a Scott's damper on order.

I'll be using her to sweep the "C" course of the AMRA GP race Sunday. I should be able to give a little feed back after some real seat time.

Later
Robb
Last edited by quailchaser on 12:49 am Apr 13 2006, edited 1 time in total.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Looks good Robb. :supz:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Awesome, way to go Robb. I've been out most of the day on a 2000 KX250 and my arms are having trouble typing this... Had a little stack, lost a bit of skin but worst of all I didn't catch it on camera. :twisted:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It looks great! Way to go! :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

NICE... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Nice Rob, do you have a link to any previous discussions of your bike in this forum?
I gather you just bought it?
I am in the process of buying a 99' KX250, might have a few simple questions for you.
Phil.
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Problem? I see no problem at all!

Cool bikes. :supz:
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Phil, I recall making a statement in some thread about possibly picking up a KX250. I don't think there was much discussion. How's that for some good quality help? :blink: Feel free to ask any questions simple or not. I may not have many answers, but there are others in here who also own KX's. :wink:

Now to the first ride impressions. We went out today (my 7 year old and I) to help finish flagging and taping the race course. This is a GP format race so there are many different types of obstacles. There is an EnduroCross section (yep...boulders, logs, tractor tires, and mud holes) :wink: , there are several tight rocky singletrack sections, there are two motocross sections (the whole pee wee track and a section of the National track) and a nice long rock wash section. :shock:

Anyway, my son and I decided to take a spin around the sections I knew he could handle. We went back to a nice ST section via jeep road. After looking a the ST, he decided it was too difficult for him and his 50. :wah: There was a small vet style MX track out there, so we rode it for a little while. After about 45 minutes we decided to go back to the parking lot and see what we needed to help with for the race on Sunday. On the way back, we rode some ST and some of the EnduroCross section. I really missed the KDX...I think I stalled the KX about 50 times. The power is different and came on with much more of a hit than I'm use to. My 220 pulls hard right off the bottom and runs strong all the way through to the top (Thanks RB!!) Anyway, the KX will lug, but the power delivery is just way different. :neutral: I was a tad frustrated. :mad:

After a short meeting, we went to work on the back section where the ST transitions to the sand track (did I forget the sand track in my above list?) :oops: . Also, where the sand track transitions to the freshly build Destry Abbott EnduroCross practice track. This was basically the same place we had been riding earlier. It was very tiring to have to keep looking for somewhere to lean the KX each time we stopped to do some work. We spent an hour or so messing with flagging.

It takes my son about an hour to get comfortable on the bike. Once he's got that confidence back, he wants to ride! :mrgreen: After our official work time was done, we hit the pee wee track and the surrounding ST. After being on the KX for a while, I started to finally feel more comfortable on it. It really liked the track, and It handled the rocky stuff better than the KDX (even with a damper on the KDX! :shock: )

My conclusions for the first ride...the KX needs to be jetted better, it needs a kick stand, and I need to ride it more, and I need to add those personal adjustments to make it just as comfortable to ride as the KDX. I think I'm really going to like it. :supz:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Tim_from_AZ

Post by Tim_from_AZ »

Hey Robb,

Sweet looking scoot. Doesn't it feel good to have more then one motorcycle in the garage! I meet guy here in Denver last weekend who's got like 10 bikes... and he's married :shock: Guess his wife must not go in the garage much.
Tell everyone back in Phx hi for me. I miss you guys but not the heat and cactus!

Later,
Tim
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Nice report on the KX. I've got TONS of jetting info, and TONS of jets too; needles, mains, and pilots. Right now I'm running 160 main, 50 pilot and NAFF needle on the leanest clip. This is good from sea level to 3000 feet (maybe a little more depending on air temps) I've been using the JD software to dink with what jetting to ride at 6000+ feet but have yet to try it out.
As far as stalling, get an AUTO-CLUTCH!!!! No stalling at any speed. It's an awesome product. The stock gearing is too tall for trail riding; I knocked my CS sprocket down one tooth and that makes the KX first gear about like the KDX 2nd gear. Some chat on the other site about stealing a 1st and 2nd gear from the earlier model KX250 to make a nice wide gearbox, but the autoclutch saves you the trouble.
Kickstand: There's a guy on eBay out of Nevada that builds them. I bought one but it was a tad short so I cut it in half and welded a short section in there. Now I have a kickstand!!!
I've gotta say, I really don't expect to be riding my KDX any more. I know, strong words, but that's how much I've come to really appreciate the handling and power of the KX250. Don't worry; the KDX is always going to be around for the guys who want to come riding with me. BTW, 70 degrees after a brief rain; it's awesome here right now for riding. Sure wish someone would take me up on my offer to ride the hills around here with me!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i never knew the kx was shorter than the kdx. One question, if my freind had a kx250 stock do you think i could beat him in a race with my kdx. Its got a reed cage, fmf pipe, and silencer and fresh top end.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you sure you are on the correct forum for that kind of question?? :?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

short answer: no.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

It all depends whether you have an MX rear fender or not.... :roll: :wink:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
KAY DEE EXER wrote:It all depends whether you have an MX rear fender or not.... :roll: :wink:
A black MX fender... :roll:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

hmm, well what else could i add to beat him in a race without doing a carb mod or porting? thanks
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There's no replacement for displacement. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sorry, kdx220freak, but in case you haven't noticed, there just aren't many "wild speculation" questions asked or answered on this forum, unlike DRN. Most everyone here has "been there and done that", so forgive us all if we decline to answer, make light of the question, or just ignore it instead of trying to help out like on your various reed, carb and bearings questions. Questions like "which is the best oil in the world, will a xxxx year KX rear fender fit a KDX and will a KDX beat this (bike, setup, etc.) are just not that important to most people around here.

Thanks.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Actually, now I'm feeling sorry for the pup. I have raced a friend of mine who has an '03 KX250 a number of times. My KDX 220 has all the normal mods except the milled head , and no porting. He smokes me every time. Even sometimes when I don't think he knows we're racing.

What mods do you need to beat one? Try taking off the radiator cap and replacing everything under it with a KX500. or, if your neck muscles are young and strong (they should be) strap a JATO tube to your helmet. Make sure you don't need to be on the bike when you cross the finish line to win the race if you use method 2 though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

sweet, if i ever have a day i'm not riding and its not raining i'm going to line up my bikes like that for a pic.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F