All this spooge is killing me! Pictures inside.

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I've been having a spooge problem ever since I got the bike. It's a 1999 KDX 200. Since then, I have repacked it, put new o-rings and crush washer on pipe, new top end, new main and slow jet, and new reeds.

Right now I have a 155 main and a 40 slow. I'm also 301 feet above sea level.

I noticed when I took my pipe off that after sitting upside down, a lot of spooge came out. Could it be that I need to clean the pipe out? Never heard of that, though.

As you can see in the pictures, it's covering my side panels, swing arm, brake line, and caliper. Sorry for the dirty bike. It rained yesterday so I took it out and didn't have time to clean it when I got back. :P

Any ideas why there's so much?
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: All this spooge is killing me! Pictures inside.

Post by G22inSC »

Are you losing trans fluid when you ride?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Haven't noticed any
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

What spark plug are you running ?

Stock 32.1 mix ?

Are your reeds burnt out ?

Are the radiators holding pressure ? ( leaky head gasket )

Does the bike smoke 200 cigarettes a day !!! ..never seen spooge that bad ! :lol:
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Running the stock B8ES plug, 32:1 mix, reeds are brand new and I just replaced all top end gaskets. The smoke amount is very little.

Stumps me :p
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

good god man, thats a mess! I'm using a 142 on 40:1 at 100-1200ft elevation. 155 seems a bit much, at least for my bikes. where is your air screw at?

I would start with repacking that arrestor, take your pipe off the bike and point a heat gun in it to burn out all the crud(15-20 min), then take some random nuts/bolts and shake em around in the pipe. make sure and replace that missing bolt in the arrestor, as well as using RTV on the ends to help seal it up. That will help direct some of the spooge out of the tail instead of leaking out. Go through the jetting guide. No matter what, you'll get SOME spooge, but it should NOT be leaking on the swingarm like that.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

newbbewb wrote:good god man, thats a mess! I'm using a 142 on 40:1 at 100-1200ft elevation. 155 seems a bit much, at least for my bikes. where is your air screw at?

I would start with repacking that arrestor, take your pipe off the bike and point a heat gun in it to burn out all the crud(15-20 min), then take some random nuts/bolts and shake em around in the pipe. make sure and replace that missing bolt in the arrestor, as well as using RTV on the ends to help seal it up. That will help direct some of the spooge out of the tail instead of leaking out. Go through the jetting guide. No matter what, you'll get SOME spooge, but it should NOT be leaking on the swingarm like that.

Actually, what you're seeing in the pics is an improvement from how it used to be, haha.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

are you fouling plugs?
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I was in denial on a leaking crank seal with mine. Did all the easy things, but in the end the seal was the culprit. Mine never smoked that much either, just made a big mess.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Gnarly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

newbbewb wrote:are you fouling plugs?
I'm interested to hear your answer to Newbbewb's question--------You have got to be fouling plugs????? Arne't you?

First things first----get it jetted right and lets see if that cut's down the mess?-----Also---are you using Beanoil?
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Deseret Rider wrote:
newbbewb wrote:are you fouling plugs?
I'm interested to hear your answer to Newbbewb's question--------You have got to be fouling plugs????? Arne't you?

First things first----get it jetted right and lets see if that cut's down the mess?-----Also---are you using Beanoil?

Well, my plugs are black for sure. Like, wet and black. But it's still running strong, or at least what I think is strong. This is my first KDX, so not too sure what kind of power they have compared to other bikes.

For pre mix oil, I'm using some cheap master pro oil. Got it from the auto store.
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

I can't comment on that oil as I don't know it. Some oils have very high ignition points and don't burn entirely in the combustion cycle---it may be true then that most of your oil isn't burning but is being carried with the exhaust gas into your muffler where it is cooling and condensing---causing your problem? a 32:1 mix only requires 4 oz of oil for each gallon of gas---so it doesn't make sense to me that you would save much by buying cheap oil----After you get everything cleaned up why don't you drain your gas tank and try a fresh gas/oil mix with a good two stroke oil recommended by your local dealership---and see what happens. I'd suspect also that your main jet is oversize---and think you might want to experiment with that----others here can tell you what works for them at your altitude. When you have it jetted right and it's running clean you will be surprised how strong it will run.
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

ditch the autozone 2 stroke mix, that crap goes in a walmart weed eater, not a dirt bike. Like everything else exclusive to auto zone, I'm suspecting that mix blows.

get a fresh plug and mix fresh gas to 40:1, repack that arrestor and like mentioned before, hit the jetting guide up.

I don't even want to KNOW what your KIPS valves look like. If it IS a leaking crank seal, the winter time is a great time to split the cases.

That being said, if it's running decent, put a bit of time into it and I'm suspecting it will run way better with very little spooge.
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I cleaned all the lip s parts when I did the top end 2 weeks ago. They were surprisingly in good shape. Not too much carbon build up on them.

Could you guys suggest a good oil? I ride about every few days and I do a little puting around, but spend a little more time wide open giving it hell.
ced64k
Supporting Member

Post by ced64k »

Almost the same here

But now it's fixed haha :mrgreen:
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

Float level off?
Is your timing retarded too much and filling the pipe with unburned fuel?
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

So I was read in about mpg and one guy said he can go 10+ hours on a full tank...I'd be be very lucky to get half of that. Anyone have any idea why my mpg is cheap? The gas line to the carb is really wide, but I'm not leaking there. But wouldn't it just fill up the bowl and that's it once it has enough? Could this be the cause of my spooge?

In other news, I took off my ugly halfway painted swing arm, stripped it, and polished it. Not mirror polished, but I gave it a nice brushed look. Looks almost brand new. Just another step in the rebuild. I'll find my rebuild thread and start posting past, present, and future updates!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

superman27e wrote:So I was read in about mpg and one guy said he can go 10+ hours on a full tank...I'd be be very lucky to get half of that.
I could go 10 hours as well if I putted around just above idle. :lol:

Different terrain and riding styles make comparing gas consumption tough.

If your jetting is rich, you are using too much fuel, which can lead to excess spooge.

If your float level is too high, excess fuel will be wasted out the overflow.
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

OP, getting anywhere with the spooge problem? My sons 95 spooges alot too, even right after new seals. Ill be following your thread to see what youve tried.