Adjusting a crank

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Adjusting a crank

Post by Dekon »

So I am in the process of rebuilding the engine on my KDX. When I finally got to installing the crank(heat the case in the oven, crank in the freezer), it did not totally seat down on the bearing. It seems about 1/16" to high. My question is, can I reassembly the engine and use the case splitter to push the crank into the bearing a little more(centering it between the cases)? Or am I going to have pull the crank out again(afraid of destroying the bearings)? I have a crank puller, but it only works on the flywheel side of the crank(I think we all know that).
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Adjusting a crank

Post by Tedh98 »

If you are going to push the crank in that little bit, I would wedge something between the webs to keep the halves aligned. Kawasaki has a special that is used when putting the cases together with a press. But I have read where guys use wrenches or chisels or anything else that will keep the webs from pinching in.

I thought there was some type of clip or adapter that was used on the side that has the internal threads (sorry not that familiar with the E series)
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Adjusting a crank

Post by Dekon »

Just brainstorming here, if I can find a piece of pipe to fit over the crankshaft, cut it longer than the height of the gears(remove the gears of course), I should be able to tighten the nut down and it will pull the crank through.