Swingarm Bearing Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Hi Gang,

I have a little bit of play in my swingarm. When I put the bike up on the stand with the rear wheel off the ground, I can move the swingarm up and down. I can definitely feel a little bit of play in there. My buddies 220 has zero movement. His bike has very few miles on it. Mine has around 1,500 on the original bearings. I did take them out when the bike was new to grease them etc. Haven't done anything to them since. Didn't feel like I needed to.

Anyway, what is the most likely culprit? If I just replace the bearings in the swingarm does that usually do the trick?

I don't feel like pulling the lever and doing all those bearings if I don't have to. Just wondering if most guys usually find it is the swingarm bearings.

I know some play is normal, but like I said my buddies has zero movement, and I got some hard miles on this bike.

Feeling a little lazy here I guess. I just want to put the studs on and go!

Thanks for any input!!
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Swingarm Bearing Question

Post by newbbewb »

None of the bearings should have play in them. That being said, I've rode plenty of bikes with a bit of play and they work ok. In my experience the shock bearings or the linkage is the culprit for up/down play and can be ridden but hurts traction. Swingarm bearings that are bad can give you side to side play, and that can make for a really unpredictable ride. Not only that it messes with chain tension. I will not ride a bike with bad swingarm bearings, but thats just me.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

It does kind of seem like it is the shock bearing..........just from moving the swingarm up and down.

If I take it all apart, is it generally pretty clear which bearing or bearings is causing the problem?

Thanks again!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The smallest bearing suffers the most. Unbolt it all to test each area. There are so many pivots, it is hard to isolate one area.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

Make sure the swing arm pivot is torqued to specs, not just "tight." :doh: It's a long story that starts with a little up/down play in the swing arm, and ends up with new bearings in the swing arm that probably were not the culprit :wink:
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Thanks Guys,

I took it apart.

It was the bearing in the rocker arm that connects to the frame.

There is side to side play as well as up and down play.

I hate removing bearings.

Oh well..............thanks again!